• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help. I have no idea what my rights are here.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My husbands ex-wife has primary custody of his two boys. With that comes us paying child support which includes paying half the daycare cost. A couple of months back she decided to pull them out of the daycare they were attending (without the 30 days notice the daycare required due to an incident that occurred with one of the kids that left him feeling uncomfortable going back) and place them in a new daycare.
She apparently settled with them to pay $400 to get out of the contract at that time. A couple of days ago my husband got a letter from a collection agency with a $1400 bill from this daycare. When he called them he was informed his ex-wife had not paid the $400 she had said she would pay and now they were coming after us for the $400 bill, attorney fess and interest. Now my husband never signed the daycare contract, was not part of the settlement agreement she made and as he pays her each month for daycare has never had any ownership of that bill. Can the collection agency come after him for this amount and can it affect his credit?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My husbands ex-wife has primary custody of his two boys. With that comes us paying child support which includes paying half the daycare cost. A couple of months back she decided to pull them out of the daycare they were attending (without the 30 days notice the daycare required due to an incident that occurred with one of the kids that left him feeling uncomfortable going back) and place them in a new daycare.
She apparently settled with them to pay $400 to get out of the contract at that time. A couple of days ago my husband got a letter from a collection agency with a $1400 bill from this daycare. When he called them he was informed his ex-wife had not paid the $400 she had said she would pay and now they were coming after us for the $400 bill, attorney fess and interest. Now my husband never signed the daycare contract, was not part of the settlement agreement she made and as he pays her each month for daycare has never had any ownership of that bill. Can the collection agency come after him for this amount and can it affect his credit?
First, you don't have to pay a dime in child support for your husband's children with his previous wife.

Second, the collection agency would be coming after your husband, not you, for the unpaid amounts and fees.

Third, unless your husband signed an agreement with the daycare provider to be financially responsible, he doesn't owe them a dime.

Fourth, this is HIS legal issue and and such, he should be the one here posting about it.

Bali Hai

First, you don't have to pay a dime in child support for your husband's children with his previous wife.

Second, the collection agency would be coming after your husband, not you, for the unpaid amounts and fees.

Third, unless your husband signed an agreement with the daycare provider to be financially responsible, he doesn't owe them a dime.

Fourth, this is HIS legal issue and and such, he should be the one here posting about it.
Fifth, if OP's husband's ex was a responsible individual, there wouldn't be a reason for anyone to be posting about it here.

Antigone*

Sixth, what the heck does this have to do with alimony and spousal support.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Is wifey #2 going to divorce hubby because he is going to be stuck paying this bill?:D

Bali Hai

Sixth, what the heck does this have to do with alimony and spousal support.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Is wifey #2 going to divorce hubby because he is going to be stuck paying this bill?:D
OP is PO'd because her husband will need to pay the deadbeat's bill with marital money.

Hey I just noticed spell-check. Know wee didn't has a axcuse fer gitten it rong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">