• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - no good ex-husband taking everything I have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

igotquestions52

Your advice please

I've been paying alimony too my ex-husband for several months now. I already have enough evidence to end it (romantic relationship, cohabiting, being supported, etc.) My lawyer was even amazed at the amount of evidence but it seems my lawyer warned me something like this sometimes happens..Seems my ex-husband informed me by email that he and his girl friend broke-up which was the same day he was served (convenient)

Question-

Is it possible that I can prove to the court that he made the contract/alimony agreement null and void by cohabiting, being supported etc past moths ago despite claiming he is not in a supportive relationship now?

ps. this is a big deal to me because I can not afford to live and pay him alimony, I'm going into the hole.

Proserpina

Your advice please

I've been paying alimony too my ex-husband for several months now. I already have enough evidence to end it (romantic relationship, cohabiting, being supported, etc.) My lawyer was even amazed at the amount of evidence but it seems my lawyer warned me something like this sometimes happens..Seems my ex-husband informed me by email that he and his girl friend broke-up which was the same day he was served (convenient)

Question-

Is it possible that I can prove to the court that he made the contract/alimony agreement null and void by cohabiting, being supported etc past moths ago despite claiming he is not in a supportive relationship now?

ps. this is a big deal to me because I can not afford to live and pay him alimony, I'm going into the hole.

First, tell us where you're located - which US state?

Secondly, tell us word for word (minus names) exactly what your decree says about alimony and when/if it can be modified.

What kind of proof do you have of cohabitation?

mistoffolees

Your advice please

Question-

What did your lawyer say when you asked him that question?

igotquestions52

State is Florida and my lawyer says it is able to be modified.

I was able to obtain detailed inside knowledge by still having access to the marital home. I've got pictures, many months worth of his account statements that he printed, like I said, inside detailed knowledge (being sneaky) he just never thought I'd pursue this so its not like it was hidden..

His lawyer is attempting to give us the run-a-around by quoting legal jargon to get around our interrogatories. (information we are requesting)

The plot-holes in his story are a mile wide (easy)
sometimes via email he claims to have followed the rules to get around supported relationship (yes, test form) , sometimes he says he never was in any form of relationship then he mailed me a copy of their lease agreement admitting she was paying him money and he has a long list of things he has purchased for her business.. (they supported each other) and a letter from his lawyer which also states there never was any romantic involvement despite the proof (he's a joke)

What I would like to do is prove that he made the divorice/alimony agreement null and void back in February despite them being split up now (they still date though) and would like to use the plot holes against him, make him out too be a lier and increase my creditably to the court.

My lawyer sounded a bit iffy because they are broken up now (grrr) but suggested I carry through because of unknowns that may favor my case

what would you all do? push on? prove he broke the agreement months ago despite his situation now? is it possible do you think?

Ps, grrr, he refuses to work full-time so he can keep living off me. help

Proserpina

I was able to obtain detailed inside knowledge by still having access to the marital home.

Does he KNOW this? Have you accessed the home LEGALLY?

I've got pictures, many months worth of his account statements that he printed, like I said, inside detailed knowledge (being sneaky) he just never thought I'd pursue this so its not like it was hidden..

And how was this obtained? Legally?

His lawyer is attempting to give us the run-a-around by quoting legal jargon to get around our interrogatories. (information we are requesting)

sometimes via email he claims to have followed the rules to get around supported relationship (yes, test form) , sometimes he says he never was in any form of relationship then he mailed me a copy of their lease agreement admitting she was paying him money and he has a long list of things he has purchased for her business.. (they supported each other) and a letter from his lawyer which also states there never was any romantic involvement despite the proof (he's a joke)

What I would like to do is prove that he made the divorice/alimony agreement null and void back in February despite them being split up now (they still date though) and would like to use the plot holes against him, make him out too be a lier and increase my creditably to the court.

My lawyer sounded a bit iffy because they are broken up now (grrr) but suggested I carry through because of unknowns that may favor my case

what would you all do? push on? prove he broke the agreement months ago despite his situation now? is it possible do you think?

I suggest you speak with your attorney.

Don't ask us what we would do.

igotquestions52

The house is still in my name so I entered on lawful pretenses (I was looking for my phone charger). I just happened to have my phone with built-in camera with me (smiles)

I know the documents themselves can't be used (that's silly) but I know whats there and paper trails can't easily be hidden esp if you know what you are looking for.

Proserpina

The house is still in my name so I entered on lawful pretenses (I was looking for my phone charger). I just happened to have my phone with built-in camera with me (smiles)

I know the documents themselves can't be used (that's silly) but I know whats there and paper trails can't easily be hidden esp if you know what you are looking for.

Talk to your attorney.

And be aware that the smarminess displayed here may come back to bite you firmly in the backside if your ex gets smart.

:D:):D:):D

Bali Hai

I was able to obtain detailed inside knowledge by still having access to the marital home. I've got pictures, many months worth of his account statements that he printed, like I said, inside detailed knowledge (being sneaky) he just never thought I'd pursue this so its not like it was hidden..

He can refuse to work, women do that all the time to keep their seat on the alimony welfare gravy train.

This is very hard to prove. There are many loopholes, but the one big thing in your favor is his gender.

tuffbrk

Why would he be paying on a lease and yet leave bank statements, etc. in the marital home? Where does he reside? Is he making mortgage payments on the home? If so, it is going to be tough to prove that his signature on the lease is anything other than him co-signing for GF due to credit issues.

You have to be able to prove another party has taken on his financial needs. In other words, prove that he is financially dependent on another party. If you cannot prove that - and it sounds as if you cannot - you are wasting your money on your attorney.

igotquestions52

Listen, I have all the proof I need to end alimony too the gold digging loser. what I would like to know is, If he broke the alimony agreement from February too August then suddenly breaks-up with his girl friend to avoid loss in alimony can I get him for what he did from February too August? Pretty much despite his situation now he already broke the agreement

thanks

Last edited:

Silverplum

Listen, I have all the proof I need to end alimony too the gold digging loser. what I would like to know is, If he broke the alimony agreement from February too August then suddenly breaks-up with his girl friend to avoid loss in alimony can I get him for what he did from February too August? Pretty much despite his situation now he already broke the agreement

thanks
I don't understand why you don't rely upon your attorney's information and advice. What does s/he say about your question, given his/her knowledge of the local courts and judges and having read your decree?

Bali Hai

thanks
That's up to the judge, these things aren't automatic. My guess would be no he doesn't meet the legal definition of cohabitating, you will continue to pay alimony.

I'm amused to hear such language from a woman. When there are enough of you, maybe the cohabitating issue will be more black and white and with teeth than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">