• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With Past Due Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeXyMeXy

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

After 10 years of an abusive marriage I got divorce on August 2000. My ex was order to pay spousal and child support but I never received a single payment. Recently on March 2008 I requested Child Support for my two kids and I also had an option to collect back Spousal Support payments. I started reciving some money but I got served with an order to show cause on Thursday. My ex wants the Spousal suport terminated and retroactivate the court order to 06/05/08 on grounds that I remarried on 05/01/06. When requested Child Support and Spousal support I did not fail to informed the Child Support Agency that I was marry and that I only wanted to collect on the BACK SPOUSAL SUPPORT. On the payment history I requested the payment to be retractive from August 2000 until April 2006, since I got married on May 2006. I want to know what is the statue of limitaions on enforcing a court order. I never bother to enforced it because he was a drug addict that while I was marry to him he stopped working in order to avoid child support payments to another son he has from a previous relationship. During those years I worked very hard and went back to school to get a BS in Business. I want to know if I can still collect for back payments even if I remarried. He is more stable now and he is able to pay back what the court ordered to pay me. $277.00 per month. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!:eek:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

After 10 years of an abusive marriage I got divorce on August 2000. My ex was order to pay spousal and child support but I never received a single payment. Recently on March 2008 I requested Child Support for my two kids and I also had an option to collect back Spousal Support payments. I started reciving some money but I got served with an order to show cause on Thursday. My ex wants the Spousal suport terminated and retroactivate the court order to 06/05/08 on grounds that I remarried on 05/01/06. When requested Child Support and Spousal support I did not fail to informed the Child Support Agency that I was marry and that I only wanted to collect on the BACK SPOUSAL SUPPORT. On the payment history I requested the payment to be retractive from August 2000 until April 2006, since I got married on May 2006. I want to know what is the statue of limitaions on enforcing a court order. I never bother to enforced it because he was a drug addict that while I was marry to him he stopped working in order to avoid child support payments to another son he has from a previous relationship. During those years I worked very hard and went back to school to get a BS in Business. I want to know if I can still collect for back payments even if I remarried. He is more stable now and he is able to pay back what the court ordered to pay me. $277.00 per month. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!:eek:
Just file a response to the suit that the money you are receiving is spousal support arrearages, not current support....and then show up in court and argue the same. Or if the CSE is the other party in the case, don't respond, but do show up in court to argue the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">