• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long do you have to be married to be awarded alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mademi3

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
I got married in June, and I left my husband a month ago, can I file for spousal support. How long do you have to be married befoer you can be awarded alimony?

nextwife

Give me a break! A two second (relatively) marriage requires him to continue to support you?

On WHAT BASIS would you be entitled to spousal support? Merely marrying, even for twenty years, is not reason enough for spousal support. I'm married almost 10 years, and, because I am perfectly capable of continuing to work and support myself if I left my husband, it would be ridiculous for me to need spousal support.

No, an 8 or 9 MONTH marriage does not entitle you to spousal support.

kat1963

Nextwife, you geezer, it’s obvious you totally forgot about the new *mercy* alimony payment. Yes, remember now? It’s 2 McDonald’s gift certificates & a dozen Dunkin’ Donuts. For marriages over 120 days, *mercy* alimony can also include your choice of a $5.00 Starbucks gift certificate or 20 Chucky Cheese tokens.

KAT

carlaxxx5

Wow, I am so with Nextwife on this!! Really, why would you even think to ask such a thing? Go back to what you were doing before you entered into this marriage. You sound like my friends soon to be ex-wife. Her and her attorney are threatening alimony because they think they can bluff him out of what is his half. So now it is going to cost him an attorney when this was suppose to be an uncontested divorce. Six months was their all.

ENASNI

Wait a minute Wait a minute

Don't you get a choice of Burger King@ over Micky D's?
Now that wouldn't be fair after 2 seconds .. now would it.

ablessin

Why did you leave him? You were only married SIX months and you want alimony?
You'd be better off walking away from the whole deal... fightinhg this in court will be expensive - think about how much you MIGHT get versus how much it will cost you to get it. Probably NOT going to be worth it in the long run.

Walk away and leave well enough alone

nextwife

kat1963 said:
Nextwife, you geezer, it’s obvious you totally forgot about the new *mercy* alimony payment. Yes, remember now? It’s 2 McDonald’s gift certificates & a dozen Dunkin’ Donuts. For marriages over 120 days, *mercy* alimony can also include your choice of a $5.00 Starbucks gift certificate or 20 Chucky Cheese tokens.

KAT
Geezer, and proud of it. Both AARP member and Brownie Scout Mom at the same time.

I think Chucky Cheese tokens is a perfect award.

It reflects the maturity level of the original question.

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Geezer, and proud of it. Both AARP member and Brownie Scout Mom at the same time.
I most sincerely salute you....I haven't quite hit the level for AARP yet and I am not sure that I could do it! Maybe if I wasn't dealing with the teenage years...LOL.

nextwife

Well, maybe I'll be so old and mellow by her teen years that they won't bother me. LOL!

I'm sure it won't be long until she's as embarassed by her parents as most kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">