• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to pay maintence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timncindib

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I have been paying my ex-wife spousal maintence for 10 years. Our only child is 22 and was emancipated. She is on kidney dialysis and considered disabled, but works and pays her bills and kept our house. At first wanted to keep the house for our child, even though she could not afford it. Is there any way to now stop this spousal maintenence?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I have been paying my ex-wife spousal maintence for 10 years. Our only child is 22 and was emancipated. She is on kidney dialysis and considered disabled, but works and pays her bills and kept our house. At first wanted to keep the house for our child, even though she could not afford it. Is there any way to now stop this spousal maintenence?
What does your divorce decree state regarding the termination of spousal support? We can't answer that question without knowing what you decree says.

LdiJ

There was no specific time frame noted in the decree
Get out your divorce decree and copy word for word, here, what it says regarding alimony. Or, in the alternative, take the decree to an attorney who can read it and answer you. No one here can answer you without knowing EXACTLY what it says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">