• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husband ordered to pay alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oceabrz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have been divorced since August and my ex has not given me one dime of the court-ordered alimony . I can't afford an attorney. I'm aware that I can hold him in contempt, but how do I do this on my own?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have been divorced since August and my ex has not given me one dime of the court-ordered alimony . I can't afford an attorney. I'm aware that I can hold him in contempt, but how do I do this on my own?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
First, go to Florida State Courts and print out the Motion For Civil Contempt/Enforcement form. You can find that by clicking on "family law forms".

Then, fill it out, attach a certified copy of the court order to it. You will file the original with the court, serve your ex with a copy by certified return reciept mail, and keep a copy for yourself.

You can read up on the laws and court rules at:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov in chapter 61.

FLORIDA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE for the Civil Procedure Rules.

Oceabrz

Wow, thank you. I didn't expect such a quick response.

The divorce papers state that if he doesn't pay, I can do an income deduction order. Is that also something I can do myself?

So.....I should take the papers to the courthouse to file in person, is that right? and then what happens? Will it take weeks for it to process? I don't know the first thing on how it works..

Oh, thank you for the links. I was going to do some research on my own, now I know where to look.

again, thank you!
Oceabrz

First, go to Florida State Courts and print out the Motion For Civil Contempt/Enforcement form. You can find that by clicking on "family law forms".

Then, fill it out, attach a certified copy of the court order to it. You will file the original with the court, serve your ex with a copy by certified return reciept mail, and keep a copy for yourself.

You can read up on the laws and court rules at:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov in chapter 61.

FLORIDA RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE for the Civil Procedure Rules.

Gracie3787

Wow, thank you. I didn't expect such a quick response.

The divorce papers state that if he doesn't pay, I can do an income deduction order. Is that also something I can do myself?

So.....I should take the papers to the courthouse to file in person, is that right? and then what happens? Will it take weeks for it to process? I don't know the first thing on how it works..

Oh, thank you for the links. I was going to do some research on my own, now I know where to look.

again, thank you!
Oceabrz
On the motion for contempt there are a couple of places that you can check asking for garnishment, which is the same as an IDO.

When you file the motion you can ask the court clerk how hearings are set in your county. Some counties have the movant set up the hearing, while others have the Judicial Assistant set hearings.

If you are required to set the hearing you will find the notice of hearing form on the court website, right under the motion for contempt form.

I can't guess at how long it will take because each court is different. If you are in a large area, like Orange county it can take awhile. But, if you are in a lessor populated area, such as Hardee County, you might be able to get into court in as little as 2 weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">