• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband receiving alimony and child support from ex-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbeach4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

She is a physician who divorced her husband a little over a year ago, due to (among other things) his relentless over spending of her income. She makes approximately $350,000 a year. He makes approximately $40,000 a year. This large discrepancy between their incomes resulted in a rather large alimony award for him. I believe that her lawyer did a very poor job of fighting for her. The ex-husband was awarded the house and did not have to pay her one dime of the 13 years worth of equity. He was also awarded $1000 a WEEK in alimony and child support, with child support comprising $400 of that amount. It was also stipulated that she is responsible to pay for 100% of the 3 kids' college education, and that it was not allowed to be paid for with loans. As her parents, myself, and the rest of her friends were privy to the negotiating, it became a real cause for concern that her lawyer was so ready and willing to convince her that this was the best she was going to get. I used the word "award" previously, but in fact, it was settled between the 2 lawyers. I apologize for not being more informed as to how this process works, i.e. is "settling" the way all divorce cases are resolved, or does a judge ever decide who gets what? Essentially, there was the feeling that she was resigned to her fate, and that her attorney was not going to fight. Our opinion, as her friends and family, was that this old-school attorney was uncomfortable with a woman leaving her husband...and that he would exact a certain "verdict" himself on the case.

Now a year later, she has become very frustrated with his absolute lack of financial support for the kids. Any music, dance, or sports programs are paid 100% by her, or the kids would not be able to participate. His steadfast refusal to spend any money on the kids (the custody was split at 50%) is heartbreaking. The kids will only ask their mother for things that they might need for school. However, he continues his lavish lifestyle, that ironically, was the exact impetus for her filing for divorce. He is a season-ticket holder to the New York Yankees, a regular golfer, AND most recently....he bragged to her, that he was able to purchase a brand new $30,000 car WITH CASH, thanks to his "bulldog lawyer who got him everything he deserved". He has a new girlfriend, but has publicly stated that he will wait "until the day after his alimony ends" (8 years total) before he marries her, in order to not forfeit his alimony.

Maybe there is absolutely nothing she can do here. To which I would say that our system, here in Connecticut, needs some serious re-vamping. Is it not required to document how child support is spent? and for that matter alimony? How is it that he is allowed to continue to soak her financially, by spending all of the child support on himself? In effect, she is paying child support twice....once, by the actual supporting of her children, and twice by paying him something that the children never see.

If I am simply a naive first-time observer to the ugly side of divorce and alimony, then tell me so. But if there is something wrong here, and something that can be done to right this 8.9 on the moral Richter scale, then please tell me that as well.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your response(s).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

She is a physician who divorced her husband a little over a year ago, due to (among other things) his relentless over spending of her income. She makes approximately $350,000 a year. He makes approximately $40,000 a year. This large discrepancy between their incomes resulted in a rather large alimony award for him. I believe that her lawyer did a very poor job of fighting for her. The ex-husband was awarded the house and did not have to pay her one dime of the 13 years worth of equity. He was also awarded $1000 a WEEK in alimony and child support, with child support comprising $400 of that amount. It was also stipulated that she is responsible to pay for 100% of the 3 kids' college education, and that it was not allowed to be paid for with loans. As her parents, myself, and the rest of her friends were privy to the negotiating, it became a real cause for concern that her lawyer was so ready and willing to convince her that this was the best she was going to get. I used the word "award" previously, but in fact, it was settled between the 2 lawyers. I apologize for not being more informed as to how this process works, i.e. is "settling" the way all divorce cases are resolved, or does a judge ever decide who gets what? Essentially, there was the feeling that she was resigned to her fate, and that her attorney was not going to fight. Our opinion, as her friends and family, was that this old-school attorney was uncomfortable with a woman leaving her husband...and that he would exact a certain "verdict" himself on the case.

Now a year later, she has become very frustrated with his absolute lack of financial support for the kids. Any music, dance, or sports programs are paid 100% by her, or the kids would not be able to participate. His steadfast refusal to spend any money on the kids (the custody was split at 50%) is heartbreaking. The kids will only ask their mother for things that they might need for school. However, he continues his lavish lifestyle, that ironically, was the exact impetus for her filing for divorce. He is a season-ticket holder to the New York Yankees, a regular golfer, AND most recently....he bragged to her, that he was able to purchase a brand new $30,000 car WITH CASH, thanks to his "bulldog lawyer who got him everything he deserved". He has a new girlfriend, but has publicly stated that he will wait "until the day after his alimony ends" (8 years total) before he marries her, in order to not forfeit his alimony.

Maybe there is absolutely nothing she can do here. To which I would say that our system, here in Connecticut, needs some serious re-vamping. Is it not required to document how child support is spent? and for that matter alimony? How is it that he is allowed to continue to soak her financially, by spending all of the child support on himself? In effect, she is paying child support twice....once, by the actual supporting of her children, and twice by paying him something that the children never see.

If I am simply a naive first-time observer to the ugly side of divorce and alimony, then tell me so. But if there is something wrong here, and something that can be done to right this 8.9 on the moral Richter scale, then please tell me that as well.

Phew! Lucky for you that you don't need to be involved in this. It is none of your business.

LdiJ

In all reality, she is getting somewhat of a "deal" here. I suspect that under normal circumstances child support would be a great deal more than 400.00 a month, even with a 50/50 schedule. Alimony is tax deductible for her and taxable income for him, and child support is not.

Zigner

In all reality, she is getting somewhat of a "deal" here. I suspect that under normal circumstances child support would be a great deal more than 400.00 a month, even with a 50/50 schedule. Alimony is tax deductible for her and taxable income for him, and child support is not.
But But But...

It's just not fair that skanky old husband gets the money and shiny new husband doesn't!

Just Blue

One would think that a Doctor could manage to deal with her own legal issues.

pdbeach4

It never ceases to amaze how downright mean people who troll internet forums really are. Hey Zigner, I'm her best friend of 35+ years, and I'm FEMALE...understand, get it?

And all you people telling me to mind my own business, SHE asked me to find out what I could, SHE asked me to "post something in a free legal advice forum", because she's too busy working and running the kids around.

I'll be sure to tell her how helpful and friendly everyone here has been.

How do I delete my account and the thread I posted/started? This was a grave error, you are not the kind of people I was hoping to converse with. Have a wonderful day!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Hey Zigner, I'm her best friend of 35+ years, and I'm FEMALE...understand, get it?
Oops, I'm sorry...my mistake. In this case, I would recommend that you advise your friend to talk to her attorney about the situation, as you don't have the facts and you are not a part of this.

ecmst12

Don't expect to get much help with that attitude. Not that this is your business anyway.

You in fact DON'T know all the facts and it is entirely possible that her lawyer was correct that she got a good deal. Besides the tax issue (which is not insignificant), if the alimony she is paying now is time-limited, then that is an INFINITELY better deal for her than her paying a small amount permanently.

LdiJ

Look, you have a friend who makes 350k a year. She has to pay a combined amount of alimony/child support of 52k. That represents just under 15% of her income. Child support for one child can run about 17% of income, and she has more than one child. In addition, the majority of that support has been specifically designated as alimony, which is tax deductible to her and taxable income to him.

She is in the 33% tax bracket so every dollar of alimony she pays actually only costs her 67 cents.

I understand her frustration about being the only one who provides any of the children's "extras" but the support she is providing does go towards providing for her children's support when with the other parent.

It sound to me like her attorney may have done a very good job for her in getting the majority of the support she is required to pay classified as alimony. Wouldn't she feel a lot worse if she had to pay that much and it was all designated as child support, which is NOT deductible?

Now...there is one possible thing that could have gone wrong, and if it did she can certainly explore that...and that would be if she is self employed and her gross income was used for the support calculations, rather than her net, after business expenses, income. However if she is not self employed or the 350k is her net income, then I think that she actually got off pretty lightly.

She also should take heart in the fact that once her children are grown and/or the 8 year period for alimony has passed, she will be sitting pretty and the ex will be in a world of hurt.

Bali Hai

You are directly witnessing women's right's groups that lobbied law makers to enact these stupid alimony laws and it's now coming back around and biting them hard. I love to hear these stories!

You and your friend should join an alimony reform group.

It sounds to me like her attorney did a great job. He should be getting $2980 a week in spousal support plus child support if he is the primary caregiver.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Look, you have a friend who makes 350k a year. She has to pay a combined amount of alimony/child support of 52k. That represents just under 15% of her income. Child support for one child can run about 17% of income, and she has more than one child. In addition, the majority of that support has been specifically designated as alimony, which is tax deductible to her and taxable income to him.

She is in the 33% tax bracket so every dollar of alimony she pays actually only costs her 67 cents.

I understand her frustration about being the only one who provides any of the children's "extras" but the support she is providing does go towards providing for her children's support when with the other parent.

It sound to me like her attorney may have done a very good job for her in getting the majority of the support she is required to pay classified as alimony. Wouldn't she feel a lot worse if she had to pay that much and it was all designated as child support, which is NOT deductible?

Now...there is one possible thing that could have gone wrong, and if it did she can certainly explore that...and that would be if she is self employed and her gross income was used for the support calculations, rather than her net, after business expenses, income. However if she is not self employed or the 350k is her net income, then I think that she actually got off pretty lightly.

She also should take heart in the fact that once her children are grown and/or the 8 year period for alimony has passed, she will be sitting pretty and the ex will be in a world of hurt.
It is very possible that she could have been ordered to pay her husband $105,000 a year for half the length of their marriage. That would have equalized their incomes. In addition, on top of that $105k in spousal support per year, she also could have been ordered to pay CHILD support. Sounds like she got a heck of a good deal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It never ceases to amaze how downright mean people who troll internet forums really are. Hey Zigner, I'm her best friend of 35+ years, and I'm FEMALE...understand, get it?

And all you people telling me to mind my own business, SHE asked me to find out what I could, SHE asked me to "post something in a free legal advice forum", because she's too busy working and running the kids around.

I'll be sure to tell her how helpful and friendly everyone here has been.

How do I delete my account and the thread I posted/started? This was a grave error, you are not the kind of people I was hoping to converse with. Have a wonderful day!!!!

As do you when you butt in to not your business. You might be interested to know she got off VERY lightly.

CourtClerk

However, he continues his lavish lifestyle,
Lavish lifestyle with $71,200 of taxable income and a $30,000 car??? BAHAAAWWAAAAHHHAAAAAA, I know I'm high maintenance, but on what planet is THAT considered lavish?

Like a secretary's salary and a Toyota Camry? Serious???:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">