• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband refuses to pay me anything and I'm out of money and a single mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollyberry7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and have been seperated since august 2009. I was a stay at home mom of 4 children while he opened an insurance agency. We seperated after 18 years of marriage and mainly things he did. We own some rental property together but the rent payments barely cover the mortgages. I was living in the house with the kids for 9 months and he was paying the mortgage or so I thought but was paying the bills. After 9 months he got his own apartment and lived in it for a year. I had to move out of our home because I found out it was foreclosed on and I convinced them to work it out with us so because I wasn't on the loan and only the deed he had to be the primary living in the house. He has not paid me anything.. Oh wait he gave me $100.00 this month. I live in a town house that I rent and I had to cash in my IRA, I have used up all my savings and am down to $200.00. I did get my insurance license and am working at a commission only job for the past couple of months. I have applied for a second job including other insurance agency's but I don't get the job. I'm scared. He told my 16 year old that he was going to let me lose everything. He told me he won't give me a penny because then we would both be poor. I have been giving my kids macaroni and cheese and whatever I can just to feed them. I don't have all of the kids living with right now although I still bring food over to the house, I pick them up using my gas, I get their haircuts, but he gives them money and everything else they want so I only have my son here who is 14 and I have my 15 year old come stay during the day but then goes home at night. The 16 year old is in a lot of trouble and needs help. They have no insurance. I have already shelled out $3000.00 in lawyer fees over th elast 3 years and I finally had to let the lawyer go because I 'm no closer to getting alimony, child custody or support and the divorce. He ignored all letters and the only thing I could do is file a law suite against him. I am broke. He plays illegal poker 3 times a week and leaves the kids at home over night by themselves.. I have contacted social services because he was reported by a teacher at school that my son said he punched him in the face. He hits them, He verbally abuses them, and I called social services again and the guy said to get a lawyer and prove he is an unfit father. He wouldn't help although he said we were in the social services program due to Doug. I also told him I have a picture of a mark he left on my son. I have no idea where to turn. Can I do anything myself and get money coming in for alimony. He makes $180,000 a year and owns his own business and said he will not pay me. He is paying credit card debt every month that is both mine and his but he took most of the cards out in my name without me knowing and then charged them up. I just want to be divorced and get my kids living with me but I have no money. If there is anyone who can offer me advice. I would be forever grateful

Antigone*

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and have been seperated since august 2009. I was a stay at home mom of 4 children while he opened an insurance agency. We seperated after 18 years of marriage and mainly things he did. We own some rental property together but the rent payments barely cover the mortgages. I was living in the house with the kids for 9 months and he was paying the mortgage or so I thought but was paying the bills. After 9 months he got his own apartment and lived in it for a year. I had to move out of our home because I found out it was foreclosed on and I convinced them to work it out with us so because I wasn't on the loan and only the deed he had to be the primary living in the house. He has not paid me anything.. Oh wait he gave me $100.00 this month. I live in a town house that I rent and I had to cash in my IRA, I have used up all my savings and am down to $200.00. I did get my insurance license and am working at a commission only job for the past couple of months. I have applied for a second job including other insurance agency's but I don't get the job. I'm scared. He told my 16 year old that he was going to let me lose everything. He told me he won't give me a penny because then we would both be poor. I have been giving my kids macaroni and cheese and whatever I can just to feed them. I don't have all of the kids living with right now although I still bring food over to the house, I pick them up using my gas, I get their haircuts, but he gives them money and everything else they want so I only have my son here who is 14 and I have my 15 year old come stay during the day but then goes home at night. The 16 year old is in a lot of trouble and needs help. They have no insurance. I have already shelled out $3000.00 in lawyer fees over th elast 3 years and I finally had to let the lawyer go because I 'm no closer to getting alimony, child custody or support and the divorce. He ignored all letters and the only thing I could do is file a law suite against him. I am broke. He plays illegal poker 3 times a week and leaves the kids at home over night by themselves.. I have contacted social services because he was reported by a teacher at school that my son said he punched him in the face. He hits them, He verbally abuses them, and I called social services again and the guy said to get a lawyer and prove he is an unfit father. He wouldn't help although he said we were in the social services program due to Doug. I also told him I have a picture of a mark he left on my son. I have no idea where to turn. Can I do anything myself and get money coming in for alimony. He makes $180,000 a year and owns his own business and said he will not pay me. He is paying credit card debt every month that is both mine and his but he took most of the cards out in my name without me knowing and then charged them up. I just want to be divorced and get my kids living with me but I have no money. If there is anyone who can offer me advice. I would be forever grateful

Have you filed for State assistance to get you through this rough time? You should also consider getting a more stable job even if it is in another industry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I live in Raleigh North Carolina and have been seperated since august 2009. I was a stay at home mom of 4 children while he opened an insurance agency. We seperated after 18 years of marriage and mainly things he did. We own some rental property together but the rent payments barely cover the mortgages. I was living in the house with the kids for 9 months and he was paying the mortgage or so I thought but was paying the bills. After 9 months he got his own apartment and lived in it for a year. I had to move out of our home because I found out it was foreclosed on and I convinced them to work it out with us so because I wasn't on the loan and only the deed he had to be the primary living in the house.
Why didn't you know about the finances on the house?

He has not paid me anything.. Oh wait he gave me $100.00 this month.
Without a court order, he owes you NOTHING.
I live in a town house that I rent and I had to cash in my IRA, I have used up all my savings and am down to $200.00. I did get my insurance license and am working at a commission only job for the past couple of months. I have applied for a second job including other insurance agency's but I don't get the job.
Have you applied for aid? Food stamps? Rental assistance? Anything of that nature?

I'm scared. He told my 16 year old that he was going to let me lose everything. He told me he won't give me a penny because then we would both be poor. I have been giving my kids macaroni and cheese and whatever I can just to feed them.
Nothing wrong with macaroni and cheese.

I don't have all of the kids living with right now although I still bring food over to the house, I pick them up using my gas, I get their haircuts, but he gives them money and everything else they want so I only have my son here who is 14 and I have my 15 year old come stay during the day but then goes home at night. The 16 year old is in a lot of trouble and needs help. They have no insurance.
Medical insurance? Does dad have medical insurance? Why are you taking food over to their dad's house? Why are the children deciding where they stay?What type of trouble involves the 16 year old?

I have already shelled out $3000.00 in lawyer fees over th elast 3 years and I finally had to let the lawyer go because I 'm no closer to getting alimony, child custody or support and the divorce. He ignored all letters and the only thing I could do is file a law suite against him.
What letters? Have you ever filed for divorce?

I am broke. He plays illegal poker 3 times a week and leaves the kids at home over night by themselves..
Teenagers can be left alone overnight.

I have contacted social services because he was reported by a teacher at school that my son said he punched him in the face. He hits them, He verbally abuses them, and I called social services again and the guy said to get a lawyer and prove he is an unfit father.
What evidence do you have of this? Have the children reported this to social services? What evidence do you have that he is unfit? Are the children in counseling?

He wouldn't help although he said we were in the social services program due to Doug.
What social services program?

I also told him I have a picture of a mark he left on my son. I have no idea where to turn. Can I do anything myself and get money coming in for alimony.
Alimony is NOT a guarantee. You need to get a job with a guaranteed income -- even if it is minimum wage.
He makes $180,000 a year and owns his own business and said he will not pay me. He is paying credit card debt every month that is both mine and his but he took most of the cards out in my name without me knowing and then charged them up. I just want to be divorced and get my kids living with me but I have no money. If there is anyone who can offer me advice. I would be forever grateful.
Why do you want your children living with you instead of dad?

single317dad

OP, my questions revolve around the divorce action and the delay involved. After 3.5 years, either there are some major roadblocks holding this up or the parties are not actively pursuing it.

What, if anything, have you filed with the court? When was it filed? What is the current status of the proceedings? Are there any orders in place?

Read NC General Statutes chapter GS 50. You need to understand these if you intend to go forward representing yourself:

http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/50-divorce-and-alimony/index.html

Read especially Chapter 50-7, do any of those grounds apply to your case?

Also read Chapter 50-13, all subchapters, especially 50.13.6. Also read Chapter 50-16, all subchapters, especially 50.16.4. What I'm getting at with these is that your judge could determine that your husband is responsible for your attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">