• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband theatening to ask for spousal support after he has a domestic violence record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halo76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am sorry if I sound like a idiot since this has gone on way too long. I just moved out last month from living with my husband for close to 10 years. There are two times in the years i have proof of adultry and he was in jail for 5 months last year for failure to complete anger management classes for DV against me. I did take him back last year and for 3-4 months it was good. Then the verbal and physical absue started and I dont know who i became again...not me for sure. Throughout our marriage i have been a workaholic and he has been in and out fo jobs ( usually due to his attitude ) . For the last 3-4 years he has worked for himself and we had a small joint business. He has made more than me per month in the last couple years, and has hid wages for my work in our company that i just give up on. He owes me at least 5-6k that i walked away from. He also confronted, spit and threatened me and my friends while i was moving out. Why did I not call the cops, probably because i know his butt would be back in jail and I wanted to make sure his dogs were cared for ( I have mine with me ). We had agreed that we would do a amicable non contested divorce and within the last couple weeks of harrassing emails he has told me he employed a lawyer and is seeking spousal support. I know he is not showing all his income, but i know its documented in his computer and his account. After adultry, abuse and proof that he can care for himself can he actually get spousal support. All i am asking for is a restraining order and never having to deal with this person again.. completely walking away from everything. Sorry again if i sound like a dumb girl, cant really explain why I have been in it so long. Also I am in the process of chapter 7 bankrupcty to get a fresh start on alot of bad moves.... with him, all in my name.:(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am sorry if I sound like a idiot since this has gone on way too long. I just moved out last month from living with my husband for close to 10 years. There are two times in the years i have proof of adultry and he was in jail for 5 months last year for failure to complete anger management classes for DV against me. I did take him back last year and for 3-4 months it was good. Then the verbal and physical absue started and I dont know who i became again...not me for sure. Throughout our marriage i have been a workaholic and he has been in and out fo jobs ( usually due to his attitude ) . For the last 3-4 years he has worked for himself and we had a small joint business. He has made more than me per month in the last couple years, and has hid wages for my work in our company that i just give up on. He owes me at least 5-6k that i walked away from. He also confronted, spit and threatened me and my friends while i was moving out. Why did I not call the cops, probably because i know his butt would be back in jail and I wanted to make sure his dogs were cared for ( I have mine with me ). We had agreed that we would do a amicable non contested divorce and within the last couple weeks of harrassing emails he has told me he employed a lawyer and is seeking spousal support. I know he is not showing all his income, but i know its documented in his computer and his account. After adultry, abuse and proof that he can care for himself can he actually get spousal support. All i am asking for is a restraining order and never having to deal with this person again.. completely walking away from everything. Sorry again if i sound like a dumb girl, cant really explain why I have been in it so long. Also I am in the process of chapter 7 bankrupcty to get a fresh start on alot of bad moves.... with him, all in my name.:(
YOu need to get an attorney. YOu may also need to get a forensic accountant on boadrd.

mistoffolees

YOu need to get an attorney. YOu may also need to get a forensic accountant on boadrd.
You also need to call the police the next time you or your friends receive abuse. You are not doing yourself (or him, for that matter) any favors by ignoring it. If the other events were recent, ask your attorney about reporting them, as well (particularly the ones with witnesses). Don't worry about his dogs. Just notify the county animal control officer if ex goes to jail. They'll take care of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">