• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband tried to use me for green card, was abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Betty777

California.

Husband tried to marry me for green card, now divorcing him and he asked for my student loan money as alimony

Hello, First of all thank you so much. I am a student, and do not have any money right now because my husband was abusive towards me. He is an illegal citizen, I married him because I loved him but I did not know that he was on probation for abusing his ex. My husband became abusive towards me and I filed for divorce 3/16. we separated June, 2015. Now the husband soon to be ex is asking me for spousal support and asking for my student loan money. I have already paid the student loan money to the University and also have a TRO against the ex because he has also tried to have his friends intimidate me. My question is what do I do or say in the TRO trial to get the restraint order approved and he will also have his friends lie to the court. I am so sick from the abuse and can not believe that he is asking for my school money, which has been spent on my tuition, and now I have had to take a leave of absence from school and work which I only make 10.00 an hour. Thank you so much for your time. I just had to also move for my safety.

Proserpina

California.

Husband tried to marry me for green card, now divorcing him and he asked for my student loan money as alimony

Hello, First of all thank you so much. I am a student, and do not have any money right now because my husband was abusive towards me. He is an illegal citizen, I married him because I loved him but I did not know that he was on probation for abusing his ex. My husband became abusive towards me and I filed for divorce 3/16. we separated June, 2015. Now the husband soon to be ex is asking me for spousal support and asking for my student loan money. I have already paid the student loan money to the University and also have a TRO against the ex because he has also tried to have his friends intimidate me. My question is what do I do or say in the TRO trial to get the restraint order approved and he will also have his friends lie to the court. I am so sick from the abuse and can not believe that he is asking for my school money, which has been spent on my tuition, and now I have had to take a leave of absence from school and work which I only make 10.00 an hour. Thank you so much for your time. I just had to also move for my safety.
A few questions:

1. Did you sponsor him via the I-864 Affidavit Of Support?
2. When did you get married?
3. What was his immigration status then, and what is it now?
4. Do you know exactly what he was convicted of?

If you can answer these I'll be able to help you a bit more.

Silverplum

I'm very happy that you are here to answer these questions! :)

*Knows Nothing In Colorado*
(remember Ann Landers & Dear Abby? :D)

Bali Hai

California.

Vote Trump and hope.

LdiJ

California.

Just because he is asking or even demanding something does not mean that you have to give it to him. You have to give him nothing unless a judge orders you to do so.

Betty777

response to Proserpina

A few questions:

1. Did you sponsor him via the I-864 Affidavit Of Support?
2. When did you get married?
3. What was his immigration status then, and what is it now?
4. Do you know exactly what he was convicted of?

If you can answer these I'll be able to help you a bit more.
Hello,

thank you so much. I never sponsored him, but he may have forged my name on the immigration application documents.
I married him 12/2014. His immigration status was about to expire, his Visa expired 2/2016. I am not sure what his status is now or how to check.
My ex was convicted of domestic violence/trespassing against his ex. He is still currently on probation.

Thank you so much for your help. I just saw your response now and truly appreciate all of you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Tell him to pound sand. Your student loan is for student expenses - such as your tuition.

You've been married for less than 2 years and haven't signed an I-864 so you have NOT agreed to take the responsibility of supporting him and keeping him off the government dole.

Terminate all contact with him.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Hello,

thank you so much. I never sponsored him, but he may have forged my name on the immigration application documents.
I married him 12/2014. His immigration status was about to expire, his Visa expired 2/2016. I am not sure what his status is now or how to check.
My ex was convicted of domestic violence/trespassing against his ex. He is still currently on probation.

Thank you so much for your help. I just saw your response now and truly appreciate all of you.
Even if he forged your signature on all of the immigration documents, they would not be approved until after an interview where you both would have to appear.

It sounds like he may be removable (deportable) due to his domestic violence conviction.

You don't owe alimony until a judge orders it.

Betty777

Thank you for your advice

Even if he forged your signature on all of the immigration documents, they would not be approved until after an interview where you both would have to appear.

It sounds like he may be removable (deportable) due to his domestic violence conviction.

You don't owe alimony until a judge orders it.
Thanks to all of you for your advice. My son and I are now in a safe place. I have to go to court for the restraint order trial. He was abusive to me last year, I did not press charges, but the police officer did. The ex intimidated me, harassed me and I ended up asking the DA to drop the assault charges. The ex agreed to leave me alone, but then the divorce process started and he was around my building and his friends were too...so the police said to get the restraint order because the ex harassed my son and I.

The student loan money has been given to the University that I attend to pay for my tuition and other expenses. It is pretty crappy of him to even insult me like that because he was also a student and realizes how important school is. The ex was very cruel to me and did not care about me, now it is very obvious that he was using me for a green card. I pray that we stay safe and the state is pretty mad at him for pulling this crap.

I am the kindest person in the world, but will not be taken advantage of by a user man and now have a strong legal team and domestic violence advocates behind me. Thank you again for your wisdom!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">