• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice about my ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue6151

I live in Alabama. For the last 6 months my ex has decided not to pay alimony, but he said his lawyer told him he didn't have to. We are going to court over this, but today he told our daughter that he's going to try to get alimony from me, because he decided to quit his job. He even told her he quit just so he wouldn't have to pay me. Can he get away with all this stuff he's trying to pull right now. Can he actually get alimony from me? I'm barely making ends meet now, and can't even do that have the time. Can someone please advise and help.
Sincerely,
Sue

LdiJ

I live in Alabama. For the last 6 months my ex has decided not to pay alimony, but he said his lawyer told him he didn't have to. We are going to court over this, but today he told our daughter that he's going to try to get alimony from me, because he decided to quit his job. He even told her he quit just so he wouldn't have to pay me. Can he get away with all this stuff he's trying to pull right now. Can he actually get alimony from me? I'm barely making ends meet now, and can't even do that have the time. Can someone please advise and help.
Sincerely,
Sue
If he voluntarily quits his job, in an attempt to get out of alimony, he is going to get hammered by the judge. He would NOT be able to get alimony from you in that scenario.

In fact, even if he became disabled the most that could happen is that alimony would cease. A new petition for alimony cannot be brought forth at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">