• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I receive money but nothing on divorce decree says alimony..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tamzab

What is the name of your state? PA is where the divorce was, I now live in NJ

When we got divorced we agreed on monthly payments that I would receive. I was told there was no alimony in PA so we made an agreement.

There is nothing on the divorce decree that states I receive alimony or that he will pay alimony. The word alimony isnt even stated on the divorce papers.

On the last paper, its an additional paper that is on after our signature page. There is no title it just says:

I. Property of wife

it has that I am to receive $625 for 2 years. nothing at all about it ending when I live with someone or if I get remarried. Just that he is to pay the that amount for 2 years and the dogs vet bills.

II. Property of husband

Says he gets his 401 k, thats it.

So my question is: It says nothing about alimony, not a word about alimony in the decree. So is this counted as alimony or is it an agreement between us based on our assets?

Will the payments stop if I get remarried and do I need to claim this on my taxes?

Thanks so muchWhat is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? PA is where the divorce was, I now live in NJ

When we got divorced we agreed on monthly payments that I would receive. I was told there was no alimony in PA so we made an agreement.

There is nothing on the divorce decree that states I receive alimony or that he will pay alimony. The word alimony isnt even stated on the divorce papers.

On the last paper, its an additional paper that is on after our signature page. There is no title it just says:

I. Property of wife

it has that I am to receive $625 for 2 years. nothing at all about it ending when I live with someone or if I get remarried. Just that he is to pay the that amount for 2 years and the dogs vet bills.

II. Property of husband

Says he gets his 401 k, thats it.

So my question is: It says nothing about alimony, not a word about alimony in the decree. So is this counted as alimony or is it an agreement between us based on our assets?

Will the payments stop if I get remarried and do I need to claim this on my taxes?

Thanks so muchWhat is the name of your state?
Based on what you have written, he is making installment payments to you on your property settlement. It is NOT alimony.

No, the payments would not stop if you remarry, and no, you would not claim it on your tax return as income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">