• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if i am hospitalized and can't attend divorce hearing can i be punished

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daisy1953

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

i am supposed to have a final non-jury hearing in front of a magistrate on thursday. if i am hospitalized and can't attend, will i still have my day in court when i get out, or will i be punished?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

i am supposed to have a final non-jury hearing in front of a magistrate on thursday. if i am hospitalized and can't attend, will i still have my day in court when i get out, or will i be punished?
CONTINUANCE. You need one. End of story. Request one in writing from the court. If you don't, then it depends on whether or not you are the plaintiff or defendant.

ecmst12

You won't be punished, but you'll probably lose, unless you have an attorney to represent you. Better stay healthy.

sandyclaus

It sounds to me like you have been well aware of the coming hearing for some time now. Did you PLAN on being hospitalized just to try to get out of the hearing?

sandyclaus

Seriously... unless it's an unscheduled emergency - which by its very definition is UNSCHEDULED, and therefore an unforeseen occurrence - there shouldn't be any good reason that one would CHOOSE to be hospitalized on the day of the final divorce hearing, especially since they knew it was coming and should have planned accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">