• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Checkmate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

My divorce was final December of 2010. My ex was awarded about $500 a month in spousal support and $500 a month for child support. I was a teacher making about $4,000 a month. I just lost my job last week. But a few months ago I inherited about half a million dollars in stock. I have a chiropractic license, but havent worked as a chiropractor in about 7 years. I have some degenerative injuries that make it tough to do the physical work as a chiropractor. My ex wife is a licensed nurse (LPN) and is in school to be a RN.She has never had a job, and has never worked out of the home - although she does photography and makes some money on her own. She remarried in May 2012.

Going back to court to get spousal support dropped.
1) Can my wife continue or increase the alimoney?
2) can my wife take part of my inheritance?

justalayman

Your order allowed continued spousal maintenance even after she remarried?

If you believe you have a right to ask the maintenance be reduced, why would you think she wouldn't have a right to have it increased? You need to review the order to determine what happens in some given circumstance.

As to her taking any of your inheritance; she cannot take your inheritance. Is the order actually allows continued support even after marriage, she can argue that you, even with losing your job, are not overly burdened by your loss of your job due to your substantial financial holdings and there is no justification to reduce the support.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

My divorce was final December of 2010. My ex was awarded about $500 a month in spousal support and $500 a month for child support. I was a teacher making about $4,000 a month. I just lost my job last week. But a few months ago I inherited about half a million dollars in stock. I have a chiropractic license, but havent worked as a chiropractor in about 7 years. I have some degenerative injuries that make it tough to do the physical work as a chiropractor. My ex wife is a licensed nurse (LPN) and is in school to be a RN.She has never had a job, and has never worked out of the home - although she does photography and makes some money on her own. She remarried in May 2012.

Going back to court to get spousal support dropped.
1) Can my wife continue or increase the alimoney?
2) can my wife take part of my inheritance?

I’m not convinced but what some of this isn’t invented. There are too many of the “more or less's”, ” “approximations”, arounds” and “abouts” to convince me that it is all genuine.

Ex was awarded “about” $500 monthly alimony. I was making “about” $4,000 per month. I inherited “about” a half a million.

“I haven’t worked as a chiropractor in “about” 7 years but still hold a license to practice the profession. “

Which seems rather strange in itself since those licenses must be renewed annually. And why would one renew such a license for 7 successive years if physically unable to practice the art?

I lost my teaching position last week.” “My ex wife is a licensed LPN, but has never had a job.”

I realize that Arizona recently abolished teachers’ tenure and with it due process in that profession. But I have to seriously question how his ex wife could hold the title of a licensed practical nurse and have never “worked” under the supervision of a registered nurse or a physician.

Also I would think that someone shelling out "about" $6,000 a year to an ex spouse would know the precise amount, plus know how to spell the word “alimony”!

Moreover, it would seem that someone with such a purportedly extensive education might be reasonably expected to know whether the “approximately" $500 monthly award to the ex wife was made as an adjustment to balance the court’s division of marital property and is thus unalterable . . . .

OR that if it was decreed as straight spousal support, would cease upon the advent of her remarriage.

And with a $500,000 portfolio one might be able to hire the services of an attorney to learn whether or not it is safe from the clutches of an ex wife!

Checkmate

You're too suspicious. My salary fluctuated depending on the month (summers etc) and also how much part time jobs I took, one semester last year I worked Saturdays only at Phoenix College and the other semester I also worked a part time job at South Mountain College. My wife took the tests (nclex, hesse?) and was given her LPN, she has never worked for money as an LPN but of course had clinical hours. She is now in school to get her RN.

The decree reads : " Father shall pay Mother spousal maintenance in the amount of $500 per month for a period of thirty (30) months, " and "Father shall pay Mother child support in the amount of $452.41 per month, commencing August 1, 2010.". I am not sure how much better your advice will be knowing those specifics, but maybe it makes a real difference.

Yeah I inherited a decent amount of money, but after so many years working for a living as a teacher, and now being jobless I want to gather as much information as I can without spending the large sums attorneys ask just for a consult.

justalayman

so ya got what? 10 months left on the maintenance? Do you really think it would reduced enough, if at all, to justify challenging it? One has to think who we are letting become teachers I guess.

. I just lost my job last week
but it appears you have had no trouble obtaining a job though.

seriously, not only would it not be worth it, while it isn't likely to be increased, that child support might be though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">