• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Curious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I consulted with an attorney because my exhusband had not paid child support for 6 months. Though I have not retained this attorney yet she did send a brief letter advising my ex to start apying his support or we "may" face court. In the meantime apparently he decided to take me back to court and tried to serve the papers to the attorney I consulted.. She refused the papers and told them they needed to serve me personally as she is not retained at this point. That was 3 + weeks ago and I have never received anything. I asked the attorney if it would show up on the online website for the court if he filed an OSC to modify his support and she said yes. But nothing is showing up?
I'm a little confused by it all. If he filed an OSC is there a time limit he has to serve me?
Does it show up online? Just curious what to expect.

Thanks, Debbie

nextwife

I'm confused.

He get's a correspondence from an attorney on your behalf, shortly thereafter files and serves that same attorney and is told by the attorney that just wrote him they DON'T represent you?

CJane

I'm confused.

He get's a correspondence from an attorney on your behalf, shortly thereafter files and serves that same attorney and is told by the attorney that just wrote him they DON'T represent you?
Why is that difficult to understand? If the attorney is not retained and there is no attorney/client contract signed, then the attorney does not represent her in this action and can not be served in her stead.

CourtClerk

Yes, it should show up online if he's filed anything with the court. The only way it wouldn't is if the court is backed up with actually entering the information (very likely in CA).

Turn the CS order over to CSSD. It's cheaper and much more effective.

Yes, it should show up online if he's filed anything with the court. The only way it wouldn't is if the court is backed up with actually entering the information (very likely in CA).

Turn the CS order over to CSSD. It's cheaper and much more effective.
What is CSSD? Sorry I'm not that court savy, but would like to be more informed.
And in response to the comment by "nextwife". I only consulted with this attorney and the letter she wrote my ex husband stated exactly that. It did not say she was repesenting me. No contracts have been signed as I was REALLY hoping to settle this out of court. :rolleyes:

Debbie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">