• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just curious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I'm just curious about the way alimony works. I have a co-worker that was previously married (ended in the last few years i believe) and from what he states, he is obligated to pay alimony to his ex-wife for life, or until she gets married. His checks are garnished for alimony and child support. The wrench in the gears is that apparently the ex-wife has decided to become a lesbian. Supposedly she cheated on him with a girl, he kicked her out, she got the kid and alimony because he didn't say anything about anything in court during the divorce. He is a lay down and take it kind of person. Regardless of the circumstances, my question is, are you actually required to give someone a check for the rest of their lives just because you were married for a few years? And especially when there is little to no chance the person is going to get legally married to their partner?

Proserpina

I'm just curious about the way alimony works. I have a co-worker that was previously married (ended in the last few years i believe) and from what he states, he is obligated to pay alimony to his ex-wife for life, or until she gets married. His checks are garnished for alimony and child support. The wrench in the gears is that apparently the ex-wife has decided to become a lesbian.

I'm fairly certain you don't have all the details.

Supposedly she cheated on him with a girl, he kicked her out, she got the kid and alimony because he didn't say anything about anything in court during the divorce.

:rolleyes:

He is a lay down and take it kind of person. Regardless of the circumstances, my question is, are you actually required to give someone a check for the rest of their lives just because you were married for a few years? And especially when there is little to no chance the person is going to get legally married to their partner?

If you're ordered to so by the court - yes.

This really isn't a hard question to answer. A court order is just that - an ORDER.

And really - this is quite honestly none of your business.

:) :) :)

Bali Hai

I'm just curious about the way alimony works. I have a co-worker that was previously married (ended in the last few years i believe) and from what he states, he is obligated to pay alimony to his ex-wife for life, or until she gets married. His checks are garnished for alimony and child support. The wrench in the gears is that apparently the ex-wife has decided to become a lesbian. Supposedly she cheated on him with a girl, he kicked her out, she got the kid and alimony because he didn't say anything about anything in court during the divorce. He is a lay down and take it kind of person. Regardless of the circumstances, my question is, are you actually required to give someone a check for the rest of their lives just because you were married for a few years? And especially when there is little to no chance the person is going to get legally married to their partner?
Short answer, Yes, if the judge orders you to do that.

You're starting to see how this racket is set up, aren't you?

LillianX

In Georgia, permanent alimony is is awarded only in long term marriages or in situations where one spouse is disabled or old enough that they aren't expected to work anymore. It's not likely that you have the whole story here.

mistoffolees

In Georgia, permanent alimony is is awarded only in long term marriages or in situations where one spouse is disabled or old enough that they aren't expected to work anymore. It's not likely that you have the whole story here.
I agree that OP doesn't have the whole story, but there's another time when permanent alimony is awarded - when one party requests it and the other party doesn't object, the court may award it. Since OP says: "he didn't say anything about anything in court during the divorce", that may be what happened.

mistoffolees

I don't know if it's my browser or what but beyond the original landing page and then FL cases through '06 - I cannot access anything else...
I didn't even try - I just thought it looked like Bali's kind of site.

Now that I've tried it, there are a number of broken links, but a lot of the cases are accessible.

nextwife

. . . where one spouse is disabled or old enough that they aren't expected to work anymore. It's not likely that you have the whole story here.
So, if it's ok for one OLD spouse to not be expected to work, why should the OTHER spouse be expected to work and pay alimony once they are themselves past the "too old to work" age? How old is "too old" to work, I wonder? And if that IS considered the Too Old to Work age, wouldn't it be just as Too Old to Work for the other spouse?

Last edited:

Bali Hai

So, if it's ok for one OLD spouse to not be expected to work, why should the OTHER spouse be expected to work and pay alimony once they are themselves past the "too old to work" age? How old is "too old" to work, I wonder? And if that IS considered the Too Old to Work age, wouldn't it be just as Too Old to Work for the other spouse?
That all makes perfect sense, but you are forgetting that the "to old to work" age usually applies to just one spouse in accordance with the broad discretionary power of the judge. Perfectly legal.

LillianX

I didn't write the laws. I just summarized them. :p

tuffbrk

I would presume that it was a long term marriage. Op's friend should review verbiage of his divorce to see if the alimony can be modified. If so, they should have a PI investigate cohabitation. Of course, they will have to try to prove the relationship is more than just friends and roommates. It may at least provide for a reduced amount if her lover is assisting her with payment of her bills.

shawkins

I'm fairly certain you don't have all the details.

:rolleyes:

If you're ordered to so by the court - yes.

This really isn't a hard question to answer. A court order is just that - an ORDER.

And really - this is quite honestly none of your business.

:) :) :)

Yes i can see where you would think it wasn't. The gentleman agreeded to an offer from myself to do some research on it and to inquire on this forum about the situation. Yes im sure he didn't give me every bit of information, and im almost positive this wasn't a long term relationship. He is under 30, has been divorced for a few years, and wasn't with her until after a stint in the army, which i can pressume to be at least a couple years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">