• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just curious about time limit on spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speakit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I was married to my ex for 13 years. I am retired military of 21 yrs. We decided to get a divorce cause she wasn't trying to make it work she was jus tired of it and got caught and now she wants out. I tried everything in my power to make it work but she was unwilling to go along with me. I was in the military from 1986 to 2007. We were married in Nov of 1992 and were divorced in Dec of 2005 making that 13 yrs. She was awarded in the divorce decree 36% of my retirement. I am curious as to how long she is entitled to it. She has been cohabitating with several different men depending on the season as to how often she changes out. We didn't have any children together but I help her raise her daughter whom she was pregnant with at the time we met and raised her for her first 13 yrs. Her biological father didn't want to have anything to do with this child as a matter of fact dodged and shunned all his responsibilities up until me and the mother got a divorce as a matter of fact he is the reason me and her are divorced to this day. Now he pays her cell phone bill the daughter and the mom (ex-wife). It just makes me even more upset that she refuses to go after him for child support but will take me to the cleaners every chance she gets. Sign help!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
36% may be the overall amount she is due permanently once all the calculations are completed which means she will receive it for good. Is it listed as spousal support or property settlement?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I was married to my ex for 13 years. I am retired military of 21 yrs. We decided to get a divorce cause she wasn't trying to make it work she was jus tired of it and got caught and now she wants out. I tried everything in my power to make it work but she was unwilling to go along with me. I was in the military from 1986 to 2007. We were married in Nov of 1992 and were divorced in Dec of 2005 making that 13 yrs. She was awarded in the divorce decree 36% of my retirement. I am curious as to how long she is entitled to it. She has been cohabitating with several different men depending on the season as to how often she changes out. We didn't have any children together but I help her raise her daughter whom she was pregnant with at the time we met and raised her for her first 13 yrs. Her biological father didn't want to have anything to do with this child as a matter of fact dodged and shunned all his responsibilities up until me and the mother got a divorce as a matter of fact he is the reason me and her are divorced to this day. Now he pays her cell phone bill the daughter and the mom (ex-wife). It just makes me even more upset that she refuses to go after him for child support but will take me to the cleaners every chance she gets. Sign help!
Dividing a military pension is normally a property settlement issue, rather than spousal support. Just as any other division of retirement assets is permanent, so is the division of a military pension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">