• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennK2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am a long time friend of Dad. He is my brother’s best friend.

Is a GAL automatically appointed when a couple is moving through a divorce, and a subsequent custody battle? Do the parents request it? Bigger question for me (legal stranger but occasionally involved), can I whisper in the court’s ear, that these kids need their own representation?

They filed for divorce and, of course, both want the kids. Children Services was involved two years ago, but the children were never removed. Fortunately, they complied with all recommendations. Dad is leery of outside involvement because of this, as may be mom.

Also, Dad adopted the eldest at infancy. (4 kids – 12, 10 year old twins and 8). I told him legally that is irrelevant, but he’s concerned. Married over 10 years (considered long term in our state). Both work and both have been “primary give givers” throughout the years.

Proserpina

I am a long time friend of Dad. He is my brother’s best friend.

Is a GAL automatically appointed when a couple is moving through a divorce, and a subsequent custody battle? Do the parents request it? Bigger question for me (legal stranger but occasionally involved), can I whisper in the court’s ear, that these kids need their own representation?

They filed for divorce and, of course, both want the kids. Children Services was involved two years ago, but the children were never removed. Fortunately, they complied with all recommendations. Dad is leery of outside involvement because of this, as may be mom.

Also, Dad adopted the eldest at infancy. (4 kids – 12, 10 year old twins and 8). I told him legally that is irrelevant, but he’s concerned. Married over 10 years (considered long term in our state). Both work and both have been “primary give givers” throughout the years.
Why wouldn't Dad request a GAL? :confused: Surely someone working for the best interest of the children is even more critical given the previous issues?

Best leave this up to him.

glovenltd

My State

I am live in New York, United State of America. This is my mother state and I love my state even I love with whole world but no more then New York.

Thanks for sharing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">