• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit for non spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria perez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am currently living in the state of Florida, my husband lives in the state of New Jersey. We do not have any children. He refuses to offer me spousal support in this time of desperate need, I could give you details later. Could I sue him for spousal support? we have been together for 8 years and married for 2 1/2 years. Please let me know how to proceed. I will look forward to an answer or some advice. Thank you very much

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am currently living in the state of Florida, my husband lives in the state of New Jersey. We do not have any children. He refuses to offer me spousal support in this time of desperate need, I could give you details later. Could I sue him for spousal support? we have been together for 8 years and married for 2 1/2 years. Please let me know how to proceed. I will look forward to an answer or some advice. Thank you very much
Usually spousal support is not ordered for a short term marriage of 2 1/2 years.

nextwife

What is the legal basis under which you believe you are entitled to spousal support? Especially with only a 30 month marriage?

Farfalla

I can tell you how it works in NM.... Both spouses are required to support each other. But if you want to force support you have to go to court...

Don't know if you can file to force support if you do not file for divorce... but in filing you can and ask that the court order interim financial support. Of course that will end when your divorce is final. Maybe it works like that in NJ or Florida.

You should see an attorney on this... the laws in FL and NJ are very different...

Last edited:

CJane

You've been married for 2.5 years and live on opposite ends of the country... and you wonder why he won't support you?

Do you plan to file for divorce?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">