• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

letter stating alimony was paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kor72173

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

my husbands ex wife just asked him to write her a letter stating he stopped paying her spousal support. Via his divorce decree spousal support was only made for 3 years. divorce papers were signed and official june of 2011. so May 2014 was his last payment. on the check that was sent to her in May it stated that it was her last alimony payment. Now in September she asking for a letter stating that he stopped making the payments. what would the purpose be for this letter.

Proserpina

my husbands ex wife just asked him to write her a letter stating he stopped paying her spousal support. Via his divorce decree spousal support was only made for 3 years. divorce papers were signed and official june of 2011. so May 2014 was his last payment. on the check that was sent to her in May it stated that it was her last alimony payment. Now in September she asking for a letter stating that he stopped making the payments. what would the purpose be for this letter.
I don't suppose he bothered to ask her?

Spousal support in Texas is "capped"; outside of highly unusual circumstances it's only for 3 years.

But yeah - ask her.

Bali Hai

I don't suppose he bothered to ask her?

Spousal support in Texas is "capped"; outside of highly unusual circumstances it's only for 3 years.

But yeah - ask her.
I wouldn't ask her jack. The obligation is paid unless a crooked court says otherwise. If she has issues she should discuss them with her lawyer.

Proserpina

I wouldn't ask her jack. The obligation is paid unless a crooked court says otherwise. If she has issues she should discuss them with her lawyer.

The Dad is trying to protect himself. Surely you can support that effort? He's trying to make sure that he won't be in any trouble..

LdiJ

My guess is that she is applying for some kind of assistance of some nature, and needs verification that she no longer has that income.

Bali Hai

My guess is that she is applying for some kind of assistance of some nature, and needs verification that she no longer has that income.
Her divorce decree should be verification. I presume they have those in Texas. If not get a letter from the court and leave the ex and his wife alone.

single317dad

Her divorce decree should be verification. I presume they have those in Texas. If not get a letter from the court and leave the ex and his wife alone.
While Ld is probably correct in that she's asking for this verification in order to prove she no longer had the income. Many times a financial institution or government agency will specifically instruct their client to request verification of such from the ex-spouse. Bali is also right; verification should probably come from some other source unless the ex-husband is feeling particularly generous. He's under no obligation to help his ex-wife anymore.

The OP doesn't state whether any children are involved, but if there are any, that should probably soften the ex-husband's attitude in this matter. Otherwise, I'd just ignore her.

Ladyback1

Lord knows that there is plenty of animosity between my Ex and me...however, I want to believe that as two adults we can communicate like adults. (And actually the last two times I've communicated with my Ex it's actually been very adult-like! We're getting better at it).

What is the harm in communicating like adults, and working this out like adults?

single317dad

Lord knows that there is plenty of animosity between my Ex and me...however, I want to believe that as two adults we can communicate like adults. (And actually the last two times I've communicated with my Ex it's actually been very adult-like! We're getting better at it).

What is the harm in communicating like adults, and working this out like adults?
There are a lot of people I don't want to talk to anymore, not just my ex-wife. Should I have to communicate with all of them, too? My drunk cousin who caused trouble at every family gathering for 10 years? My former best friend who broke into my car? Another friend who never paid me any agreed-upon rent? Some relationships are best buried permanently.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the divorce was final in June, wouldn't the first alimony payment have been due in July? If so, then the guy's got one more payment due.

Proserpina

If that were possible, certain posters would be out of a job and these forums would be covered in dust.

Le sigh.

Bali Hai

If the divorce was final in June, wouldn't the first alimony payment have been due in July? If so, then the guy's got one more payment due.
That is a possibility. My divorce was final in May but the judge tacked on a year and a half retroactive alimony, all the way back to the date when she asked for alimony pendente lite during the divorce and the same judge denied that motion. I call that malice. But it doesn't matter what I think, right?

I presume the divorce decree would name the starting and ending month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">