• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lifetime alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wvgirl100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV
I would like to know if I was ordered lifetime alimony if my ex can take me back to court to stop it b/c I am co habitating with someone. We were married 25 years, I never worked outside of the home and quit schoo at 16 to marry him. We have to children both are now over 18 and one is hearing impaired.

Last edited:

nextwife

I would like to know if I was ordered lifetime alimony if my ex can take me back to court to stop it b/c I am co habitating with someone. We were married 25 years, I never worked outside of the home and quit schoo at 16 to marry him. We have to children both are now over 18 and one is hearing impaired.
And you can't NOW finally go to school WHY? MY aunt went and got a law degree after about 25 years of marriage and being a SAHM, also married at 16. My mom got a nice job when my dad became terminal, and had left school at 17 and had been a sahm. My sister got a masters degree at 42.

After all, he could get sick, disabled, die, become unemployed. It is never a good plan be be wholly dependent on another.

It's insulting to women as a group to imply that a woman past 42 can't learn a career and wants to be a dependent always and forever.

As to a child with a hearing issue: Many, many, hearing impaired and severely deaf individuals have full careers . I had a University professor that was deaf and signed only, and I attended many classes in the deaf ed department with parties who had hearing defecits.. Are you implying your post 18 year old deaf child will not able to be independent?

Last edited:

LdiJ

The legal answer to your question depends on what your court orders say regarding alimony. If your court orders state that alimony is modifiable, or if WV law states that alimony in general is modifiable if you cohabitate, then it may be modifiable.

However, if your court orders do not allow for modification of alimony, and/or your state law does not allow for that, then its not.

Take your paperwork and go get a consult with a local attorney.

Isis1

no disrespect, but it made me giggle.

proud_parent

The legal answer to your question depends on what your court orders say regarding alimony. If your court orders state that alimony is modifiable, or if WV law states that alimony in general is modifiable if you cohabitate, then it may be modifiable.
West Virginia Code allows for reduction or termination of spousal support if it can be proved that a de facto marriage exists between the payee and another party.

http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/codes/48/wvc48-5-707.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">