• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Story, Lots of Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frydenlm

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My husband and I separated over 6 years ago. For the first year, we stayed in contact and our separation was friendly. We decided to divorce, and upon my husband’s request, I hired an attorney in Maryland and drew up a settlement agreement. My lawyer emailed the documentation to my husband (he was living in Colorado at the time), he acknowledged its acceptance, and then ceased all communication with me and my lawyer.

After almost a year of no contact, my lawyer and I caught a lucky break and ‘a friend of a friend’ found out where he was living. We were able to serve him divorce papers to get things underway. There was a great sense of urgency because I had debt collectors from American Express calling me nearly every day. Unfortunately, during the “friendly” year of our separation, my husband charged $48K of expenses on an AMEX card that was issued in my name. He had originally been making payments on the card, but stopped after just a few months.

Although my husband had been served, he continued to ignore both me and the divorce proceedings. He was a ‘no show’ at the first hearing. Meanwhile, AMEX was still calling and my credit was in jeopardy. My lawyer and I decided to file a fraudulent charges application in hopes of buying me more time with AMEX, and we began analyzing the charges more closely. We eventually discovered a passport charge for someone who appeared to be my husband’s new wife. AMEX confirmed that my husband had remarried, so my lawyer subpoenaed his wife. My husband contacted me immediately.

My husband flew to Maryland within a day, and my lawyer drew up the paperwork. My husband signed over the deed to our house and agreed to the following payments:
  • $60K to American Express to settle the outstanding debt
  • $4K to cover 50% of the lawyer fees
  • $15K for charge card expenses incurred during the time of our separation
  • $3.5K in quarterly payments for the next 5 years
It has now been over 2 years and my husband has not paid me a thing. I refinanced my house to pay off American Express and settle my attorney fees. I have received a few emails from my husband, ensuring me that he will eventually pay me what he owes, but always arguing that he has no money. In the meantime, he has supposedly foreclosed on his home in Colorado and transferred his second property into his brother’s name. I have documentation that shows an income of $350K for at least two years during our separation, but I do not know if he is even working at this time. He appears to have money saved somewhere which enables him to not work continuously. Last I had heard he also owed over $250K to the IRS.

My lawyer initially advised me to go after my husband for what he owed me. Unfortunately, she was unable to represent me, since I had not paid my attorney fees at that time. I now have enough money to pay an attorney, but I do not know if too much time has passed. Is there a statute of limitations on divorce agreements? If I still have time, is this worth pursuing? Is there any guarantee that I won’t just spend a lot of money on an attorney and still end up with nothing? Is there any way to force him to pay (especially if he doesn’t have a home to place a lien on or a job to garnish wages)? Does the fact that he remarried while still married to me help my case at this point?

I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Any advice you can give me would be great. Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My lawyer initially advised me to go after my husband for what he owed me. Unfortunately, she was unable to represent me, since I had not paid my attorney fees at that time. I now have enough money to pay an attorney, but I do not know if too much time has passed. Is there a statute of limitations on divorce agreements? If I still have time, is this worth pursuing? Is there any guarantee that I won’t just spend a lot of money on an attorney and still end up with nothing? Is there any way to force him to pay (especially if he doesn’t have a home to place a lien on or a job to garnish wages)? Does the fact that he remarried while still married to me help my case at this point?

I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Any advice you can give me would be great. Thanks!
There is absolutely no way to guarantee that you won't spend alot of money on legal fees, and then still be unable to collect.

If its true that he owes 250k to the IRS, I can pretty much guarantee that they are going to tie up any and all assets that they can find of his....and you will be way down the list in legal priority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">