• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost job - Question about alimony & support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rogerc4574

What is the name of your state? Florida

I lost my job in December due to downsizing ( I worked in the housing sector). I have been divorced since 2001 and I have always been up to date (and in fact ahead on child support and alimony). My daugher who lives with my ex wife in New Jersey in now 16. Now my only income is an unemployment check, and I have been paying enough to cover child support with a little left over for alimony each month, but I am now behind on my alimony.

I fully intend to start full payment (salary permitting) as soon as I find another job. How do I go about informing the court of my situation? Letter? Some sort of pro-se motion? I don't currently have money to pay an attorney. I have the will, but right now not the ability to pay. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

I lost my job in December due to downsizing ( I worked in the housing sector). I have been divorced since 2001 and I have always been up to date (and in fact ahead on child support and alimony). My daugher who lives with my ex wife in New Jersey in now 16. Now my only income is an unemployment check, and I have been paying enough to cover child support with a little left over for alimony each month, but I am now behind on my alimony.

I fully intend to start full payment (salary permitting) as soon as I find another job. How do I go about informing the court of my situation? Letter? Some sort of pro-se motion? I don't currently have money to pay an attorney. I have the will, but right now not the ability to pay. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?
Do you expect that a new job will be paying less than your old job?

rogerc4574

It is quite possible. It seems that only lower paying jobs are available now. I am hopeful to find one that pays as much or more than my old one, but there is no guarantee.

Gracie3787

It is quite possible. It seems that only lower paying jobs are available now. I am hopeful to find one that pays as much or more than my old one, but there is no guarantee.
File for a modification. If your alimony is modifiable you can file for that also. You should be able to get a downward modification since your income loss was involuntary. Be sure that you can prove that you have been, and still are conducting a job search.

You do not have to hire an attorney, you can file pro-se. Here are some links for you

Family law forms: www.flcourts.org

Florida Statutes, chapter 61 : www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES

Florida Rules of Civil Procedure: http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/frcp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">