• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dudethecat

New York City, NY
My wife and I separated a little over 3 years ago. I left the home which is rent stabilized and she remained. I am ready to file for divorce but I am a little worried about maintenance. She has remained in the home and has maintained her standard of living without the addition of my income since I moved out. We have no children and no assets together. There was no abuse on either side and we are both in good health. I do earn more income than she does as I did before the separation but again, I did leave her in a rent stabilized situation and she has been fine maintaining her standard of living. I am nervous I will have to pay maintenance, is this possible or probable? Thank you for your help in advance.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
New York City, NY
My wife and I separated a little over 3 years ago. I left the home which is rent stabilized and she remained. I am ready to file for divorce but I am a little worried about maintenance. She has remained in the home and has maintained her standard of living without the addition of my income since I moved out. We have no children and no assets together. There was no abuse on either side and we are both in good health. I do earn more income than she does as I did before the separation but again, I did leave her in a rent stabilized situation and she has been fine maintaining her standard of living. I am nervous I will have to pay maintenance, is this possible or probable? Thank you for your help in advance.
I think you have an excellent chance of NOT paying maintenance. Your argument is simple: she has been and still is capable of supporting herself without your financial input. There is no need for maintenance.

ducky8888

I think you have an excellent chance of NOT paying maintenance. Your argument is simple: she has been and still is capable of supporting herself without your financial input. There is no need for maintenance.
This is a legal advice forum, please site your legal basis for this opinion

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">