• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Asset Manipulation b/4 Filing Date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pincushion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I beleive my stbx has removed annuity funds and is using new credit cards acquired since the separation date. He's trying to terminate lease on my car. Pendente lite papers were just filed but it's been several weeks since he abandoned. The papers filed request that he not do these types of things by a restraint order or something like that. How will the court handle his actions? Are any purchases he has made for let's say Electronics or Jewelry be considered marital property to be distributed later? Will the debt he's incurred be treated the same?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I beleive my stbx has removed annuity funds and is using new credit cards acquired since the separation date. He's trying to terminate lease on my car. Pendente lite papers were just filed but it's been several weeks since he abandoned. The papers filed request that he not do these types of things by a restraint order or something like that. How will the court handle his actions? Are any purchases he has made for let's say Electronics or Jewelry be considered marital property to be distributed later? Will the debt he's incurred be treated the same?
Do you have a good handle (with proof) of the debts and assets that existed as of the date of separation? If not, you need to get your hands on as much documentation as possible.

If you can provide proper documentation he will be held solely responsible for debts incurred after the separation, and will have to account for any assets used/dissipated. However, there are things that he can legitimately use assets for (like paying for an attorney or basic living expenses) so if any money he has spent was all for legitimate purposes, he won't get dinged on that.

Let your attorney know what's going on, particularly with your car.

pincushion

Marital Assets

Yes, I have very good documentation of EVERYTHING before and after date of separation. In fact, he left without anything and has probably not thought about any of this unless he's contacted an attorney. By now, he probably has. My attorney is aware of everything that has transpired and my suspicions. Thank you for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">