• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married 11 months. Is alimony possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crossfire

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

My sister just had a falling out with her husband and they are preparing for a divorce. She has a six month old infant from this marriage which lasted 11 months, and a five year old she had from a previous relationship.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but she was laid off work because of company cutbacks less then four weeks ago. My sister tells me they don't fight and just a few weeks ago they were house shopping. But just 2 days ago the husband said he can't handle the five year old son (who has PDD, a form of autism), has had a change of heart, and now wants a divorce.

That same day she moved out of the house (the husband was renting the house from his parents since before the marriage) and my sister is now staying with my mother.

Today she went back to pick up her clothes and he has already locked all the doors and padlocked the gates. He also emptied their joint banking account which had a little over $6,000 and won't return calls.

Its sad to see someone do a complete 180 so quickly, and my sister has never been through a divorce. Right now all she has is her kids, but we know he'll fight for full custody if only to avoid paying child support.

This is her husband's second marriage, and he was pretty cold hearted towards the first wife so I have every reason to believe he'll be the same towards my sister. He also has two kids from that former marriage and said he'll only pay $400, but we'll let the courts decide on custody and the amounts.

A good friend mentioned that my sister may be entitled to alimony for the amount of time living together. Is this true?

And also, what are some steps/documentation should my sister be doing right now? We weren't expecting to see things get ugly until today, once we noticed that he emptied their joint bank account and changed all the locks.

CJane

Alimony is NOT going to happen.

Your sister needs an attorney. Joint custody is a given... that means joint decision making and significant time with each parent. It's unlikely that he would get primary custody unless he's been the child's primary vcare provider... and your sister left w/the children, so he hasn't been that.

Loan her the money for an attorney.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto CJane - alimony is not going to happen. Your sister needs an attorney, and she needs a job.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

My sister just had a falling out with her husband and they are preparing for a divorce. She has a six month old infant from this marriage which lasted 11 months, and a five year old she had from a previous relationship.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but she was laid off work because of company cutbacks less then four weeks ago. My sister tells me they don't fight and just a few weeks ago they were house shopping. But just 2 days ago the husband said he can't handle the five year old son (who has PDD, a form of autism), has had a change of heart, and now wants a divorce.

That same day she moved out of the house (the husband was renting the house from his parents since before the marriage) and my sister is now staying with my mother.

Today she went back to pick up her clothes and he has already locked all the doors and padlocked the gates. He also emptied their joint banking account which had a little over $6,000 and won't return calls.

Its sad to see someone do a complete 180 so quickly, and my sister has never been through a divorce. Right now all she has is her kids, but we know he'll fight for full custody if only to avoid paying child support.

This is her husband's second marriage, and he was pretty cold hearted towards the first wife so I have every reason to believe he'll be the same towards my sister. He also has two kids from that former marriage and said he'll only pay $400, but we'll let the courts decide on custody and the amounts.

A good friend mentioned that my sister may be entitled to alimony for the amount of time living together. Is this true?

And also, what are some steps/documentation should my sister be doing right now? We weren't expecting to see things get ugly until today, once we noticed that he emptied their joint bank account and changed all the locks.
Using this logic, I have had a contract of employment with my employer for many years. If that contract were to end, would I qualify for support from my former employer for as many years as we had a contract???

ezmarelda

I know I'll get a lashing for this but...alimony is not completly out of the question. btdt

Tell sis to get an attorney.

I was married 8mos and was ss was ordered:p

penelope10

I see. Since my employer and I didn't have sex, the employer has no responsibility to support me when our contract ends??? What I get from this is marriage is just a legalized form of prostitution??
It's different cause with a prostitute you get to stop paying once services are no longer rendered!

But like I said I live in a different state, alimony or ss is only awarded under certain circumstances, and only after at least 10 years of marriage. And spousal support is a temporary thing---the max one can get is three years.

Sorry---hope I didn't offend anyone---just couldn't resist!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">