• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mari1120

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
My Ex and I divorced 5 years ago . He served in the Navy 20 years. I was married to him for 28 years. 19 of those years in the Military. When we divorced and everything was finalized he insisted that he would abide by the divorce decree concerning his retirement but would just write me a check each month instead of having the military do this.

I agreed because we have children and I didnt want him to struggle with providing for the kids and resenting them when they where with him, but I suspected there was another reason but didn't press him. So in order to give him some financial breathing space I agreed.
My question is where do I mail our 5 year old divorce decree that cleary states I am to recive 50 % of his retierment and how do I know what that is, has it been going up each year but he is only giving me the original amount?

I dont want to go back and collect what ever increases he has had I only need to know how this works and where to send the papers now .

LdiJ

My Ex and I divorced 5 years ago . He served in the Navy 20 years. I was married to him for 28 years. 19 of those years in the Military. When we divorced and everything was finalized he insisted that he would abide by the divorce decree concerning his retirement but would just write me a check each month instead of having the military do this.

I agreed because we have children and I didnt want him to struggle with providing for the kids and resenting them when they where with him, but I suspected there was another reason but didn't press him. So in order to give him some financial breathing space I agreed.
My question is where do I mail our 5 year old divorce decree that cleary states I am to recive 50 % of his retierment and how do I know what that is, has it been going up each year but he is only giving me the original amount?

I dont want to go back and collect what ever increases he has had I only need to know how this works and where to send the papers now .
You need to get in touch with DFAS to see where you need to provide the divorce decree so that they will pay your share to you, directly. If there is a base anywhere nearby you might want to also contact JAQ for information.

When you go to DFAS Home, click on Find Garnishment Information tab on left. You'll see the FAQs on Dividing Military Retired Pay which will answer your questions. Also on the home page, there is a list of links on the right. Click on DOD Forms and then find DD Form 2293. You'll need to complete this and send in along with your divorce decree to DFAS. DFAS will not address any arrears if he has not been paying you the correct amount.

trish_h920

Dfas

Call Department of Finance and Accounting Service directly. They will ask you for some paperwork and your divorce decree and will divide the check right there and then. They will automatically deposit your portion of the retirement into your account monthly. The reason I know this is because that is what I had to do. Was married 27 years and spent 23 of those years with him in the Army. Basically, it takes everything out of his hands and you have control over the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">