• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of settlement agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kipper1963

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hello, I am divorced after 20 years of marriage & 22 years together total. We have one son. My ex-husband walked out on us after planning to do so for 6 months. He emptied the bank account & left me with nothing. I had been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I had no money for representation in the divorce, but do receive alimony & child support. My son developed an eating disorder within 2 months of his father abandoning us. It took over a year for him to get this under control with the help of a therapist. He has unfortunately also developed severe anxiety with anxiety/panic attacks, depression, OCD & agoraphobia. His situation has become much worse this past August when he stated he wanted to commit suicide. His emotional problems are such that I cannot work full time because of them. He sees his therapist & a psychiatrist & is on 3 different medications. I have asked my ex-husband to help more financially because we live in poverty & he has refused. He has remarried & they have 2 full time incomes. I have proof from before he walked out of his finances & also present day finances where he is able to go on cruises, buy a new car, a lot of expenses, but he will not help his son get out of poverty. What options do I have here legally? His father has not been involved with his sons care at all & I have my son 100% of the time - there are no overnight visitations because of his fathers behavior & how he has treated his son. I have the support of both the therapist & psychiatrist. I just want to be able to provide a better life for my son. He has been affected negatively because we do not have much money for food & bills. I have no money to save to go back to school. I do not qualify for any state benefits either. What rights do I & my son have? Can I get a modification os the MSA?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello, I am divorced after 20 years of marriage & 22 years together total. We have one son. My ex-husband walked out on us after planning to do so for 6 months. He emptied the bank account & left me with nothing. I had been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I had no money for representation in the divorce, but do receive alimony & child support. My son developed an eating disorder within 2 months of his father abandoning us. It took over a year for him to get this under control with the help of a therapist. He has unfortunately also developed severe anxiety with anxiety/panic attacks, depression, OCD & agoraphobia. His situation has become much worse this past August when he stated he wanted to commit suicide. His emotional problems are such that I cannot work full time because of them. He sees his therapist & a psychiatrist & is on 3 different medications. I have asked my ex-husband to help more financially because we live in poverty & he has refused. He has remarried & they have 2 full time incomes. I have proof from before he walked out of his finances & also present day finances where he is able to go on cruises, buy a new car, a lot of expenses, but he will not help his son get out of poverty. What options do I have here legally? His father has not been involved with his sons care at all & I have my son 100% of the time - there are no overnight visitations because of his fathers behavior & how he has treated his son. I have the support of both the therapist & psychiatrist. I just want to be able to provide a better life for my son. He has been affected negatively because we do not have much money for food & bills. I have no money to save to go back to school. I do not qualify for any state benefits either. What rights do I & my son have? Can I get a modification os the MSA?
Child support is always fluid. Is your ex ordered to pay for any medical expenses? How has your ex's income fluctuated -- not with the addition of his wife's but your ex's income alone?

Silverplum

The new wife's income is not for you to enjoy.

Going to school is something you could have/should have done during the many, many years you were a SAHM. According to you, you couldn't go to school, anyway.

As OG stated, child support is fluid and you may qualify for an increase. Alimony usually is a set figure, unless the agreement calls for updates and increases/decreases.

LdiJ

There is generally a great deal of financial aid available for single parents in your situation. You may not need any money at all to go to school. You should at least do some research into that.

Pinkie39

There is generally a great deal of financial aid available for single parents in your situation. You may not need any money at all to go to school. You should at least do some research into that.
This is very true. And many community colleges offer programs specifically for displaced homemakers or single parents trying to enter or reenter the workforce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">