• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modifying Spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hogdady

My first post here.

I have just finished repaying a spousal arrearge thru wage assignment. I never saw a copy of the spousal modification initiated by my ex-wife, but I have seen the wage assignment instructions to my employer. The wage assignment does state the total amount af arrearages due, but instructs the employer to maintain the wage assignment until further notice from the court. I spoke with someone at the family law facilitator's office (Stanislaus Co), and they said I would have to submit an Order to show Cause and receive a court date to have the arrearage withholdings terminated. I , of course, have payroll stubs to demonstrate the repayment. I now live 70 miles from the court and would have to lose a day of work to attend a court date.

My question is: Can I somehow get the arrearge order changed without having to go to court?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HD

LdiJ

My first post here.

I have just finished repaying a spousal arrearge thru wage assignment. I never saw a copy of the spousal modification initiated by my ex-wife, but I have seen the wage assignment instructions to my employer. The wage assignment does state the total amount af arrearages due, but instructs the employer to maintain the wage assignment until further notice from the court. I spoke with someone at the family law facilitator's office (Stanislaus Co), and they said I would have to submit an Order to show Cause and receive a court date to have the arrearage withholdings terminated. I , of course, have payroll stubs to demonstrate the repayment. I now live 70 miles from the court and would have to lose a day of work to attend a court date.

My question is: Can I somehow get the arrearge order changed without having to go to court?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HD

If the wage assignment order states that your employer must withhold until further order of the court, then no, there is no way to get it stopped without going to court. You could hire an attorney to handle it for you, and that could possibly avoid you having to attend court, but that would cost you more than losing a day's pay.

Hogdady

If the wage assignment order states that your employer must withhold until further order of the court, then no, there is no way to get it stopped without going to court. You could hire an attorney to handle it for you, and that could possibly avoid you having to attend court, but that would cost you more than losing a day's pay.
Thanks for the reply, albeit not what I was hoping to hear. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">