• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modifying Transitional Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chosen1608

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was recently divorced in September. In my MDA, we agreed to $1500/mo of transitional alimony, and stated that this was non-modifiable. However, my ex is now remarried and lives with her new husband. So can my alimony be modified, ie reduced or terminated all together? I realize that we stated "non-modifiable", but from my readings the state of TN considers all transitional alimony as non-modifiable, but that it can be modified under "certain circumstances". So do I have an argument? Thank you in advance.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was recently divorced in September. In my MDA, we agreed to $1500/mo of transitional alimony, and stated that this was non-modifiable. However, my ex is now remarried and lives with her new husband. So can my alimony be modified, ie reduced or terminated all together? I realize that we stated "non-modifiable", but from my readings the state of TN considers all transitional alimony as non-modifiable, but that it can be modified under "certain circumstances". So do I have an argument? Thank you in advance.
Alimony Modification Law in Tennessee After Divorce

At least part of it will depend on whether the alimony agreement was something you and ex agreed to or whether it was an order from the court without your agreement.

One way or the other, you really need to talk with a local attorney. it's going to depend greatly on the individual judge.

chosen1608

We did agree to terms in mediation. I am attempting to talk to my lawyer about things but I'm waiting to hear back. I thought I would try to do some research on things in the mean time. I appreciate any help.

Thanks again.

mistoffolees

We did agree to terms in mediation. I am attempting to talk to my lawyer about things but I'm waiting to hear back. I thought I would try to do some research on things in the mean time. I appreciate any help.

Thanks again.
The answer is a definite, absolute 'maybe'. It's going to depend on the local climate, so your attorney will be able to give you the best answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">