• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother flees with child to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Highrise2224

I am in North Carolina and my child was born in North Carolina and when the mother of my child got pregnant we ended up breaking up shortly afterwards. She ended up going into hiding so that I couldn't put my name on my child's birth certificate so she could keep my child away from me. I recently found out where she worked at and had her served at her job with petition to establish paternity paperwork.The very next week she had quit her job and took the kids out of school and moved them to Florida. What happens to a mother that leaves the state and further tries to keep a father from their child after being served with a petition to establish Paternity paperwork??? Will she be held in contempt of court for not responding to the petition to establish paternity in a timely manner??

Silverplum

I am in North Carolina and my child was born in North Carolina and when the mother of my child got pregnant we ended up breaking up shortly afterwards. She ended up going into hiding so that I couldn't put my name on my child's birth certificate so she could keep my child away from me. I recently found out where she worked at and had her served at her job with petition to establish paternity paperwork.The very next week she had quit her job and took the kids out of school and moved them to Florida. What happens to a mother that leaves the state and further tries to keep a father from their child after being served with a petition to establish Paternity paperwork??? Will she be held in contempt of court for not responding to the petition to establish paternity in a timely manner??
Has she responded to the motion? Has she missed any dates or deadlines?

Highrise2224

Has she responded to the motion? Has she missed any dates or deadlines?
She got served on April 15th 2016 with the petition to establish paternity. She never responded to it. The hearing where the judge motioned for a DNA test to be done was 3 weeks ago. She didn't show up for that hearing and the she was sent a notice of that hearing date. The DNA test was to be submitted withing 20 days of the hearing but she still hasn't submitted the child. And my child's mother is on public assistance and receives food stamps. I know if I went through DSS to try to get a DNA test done in most states they would cut her public assistance off until she submitted the child. But since she is in another state I don't know if they'll actually arrest her for contempt of court once her name pops up at an address somewhere or not. She keeps her addresses hidden so I can't find her that's why I actually had to have her served at her job when a friend saw her at work one day. If I knew her actually address I in Florida I would call the cops and send them to that address letting them know that she ran from a court ordered DNA test but I just want to know if the courts will take it seriously enough to actually pursue her in another state? Because I know if a guy ducked a paternity test to try to avoid paying child support then the guy would be arrested when his name popped up at any job where he he had to put in his social security number. I would think with her having to give an address where she lives at to remain on public assistance that it would be fairly easy for law enforcement to find out her whereabouts but I don't know. I just need some feedback.

NellieBly

If she is on public assistance, the state may want to establish paternity so you may reimburse them for the costs of raising your child. Of course she would have to admit she knows who the father is.

LdiJ

She got served on April 15th 2016 with the petition to establish paternity. She never responded to it. The hearing where the judge motioned for a DNA test to be done was 3 weeks ago. She didn't show up for that hearing and the she was sent a notice of that hearing date. The DNA test was to be submitted withing 20 days of the hearing but she still hasn't submitted the child. And my child's mother is on public assistance and receives food stamps. I know if I went through DSS to try to get a DNA test done in most states they would cut her public assistance off until she submitted the child. But since she is in another state I don't know if they'll actually arrest her for contempt of court once her name pops up at an address somewhere or not. She keeps her addresses hidden so I can't find her that's why I actually had to have her served at her job when a friend saw her at work one day. If I knew her actually address I in Florida I would call the cops and send them to that address letting them know that she ran from a court ordered DNA test but I just want to know if the courts will take it seriously enough to actually pursue her in another state? Because I know if a guy ducked a paternity test to try to avoid paying child support then the guy would be arrested when his name popped up at any job where he he had to put in his social security number. I would think with her having to give an address where she lives at to remain on public assistance that it would be fairly easy for law enforcement to find out her whereabouts but I don't know. I just need some feedback.
Actually, a man would not be arrested for ducking a paternity test. He would just be found to be the legal father by default, and ordered to pay child support based on the judge's best guess of his income. Its a very odd situation for a mother to be ducking a paternity test, so I am not aware of how the courts typically handle that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">