• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out an 18 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FAUser13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hi,

So I could only think to put this as spousal support since I didn't know what else it could be.

I have a girlfriend who is 18 years old. High school senior. I am 20. Her and her parents do not get along, and it has only progressively gotten worse. I would like to move her in with me, and I was wondering if I did move her in with me, could her parents call the police or something, and say I kidnap her or manipulated her or something? Or since she is 18, would it be legal for her to choose her own living arrangements (to live with me) ? I want to make sure I can move her out, and they can't force her back in. I need to make sure I can move her out and she can have a clean break from them. Please advise!

CdwJava

As an adult, she should be able to move in with you if she wants. Understand that she will likely be permitted to take only those things her parents allow her to take with her, and nothing will prevent the parents from calling the police and claiming whatever they want. But, if she is an adult, is of sound mind, and is not being held against her will, she can go where she wants.

However, if she is still in high school, she will have to continue to attend school or work out an alternative program. She might also have to complete paperwork with the school to transfer any rights and responsibilities for her education to her from her parents.

There may be some specific Ohio laws or regulations that she may have to be aware of, and hopefully some of the Ohio-centric posters on this board will find their way here soon enough.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hi,

So I could only think to put this as spousal support since I didn't know what else it could be.

I have a girlfriend who is 18 years old. High school senior. I am 20. Her and her parents do not get along, and it has only progressively gotten worse. I would like to move her in with me, and I was wondering if I did move her in with me, could her parents call the police or something, and say I kidnap her or manipulated her or something? Or since she is 18, would it be legal for her to choose her own living arrangements (to live with me) ? I want to make sure I can move her out, and they can't force her back in. I need to make sure I can move her out and she can have a clean break from them. Please advise!
She is an adult but the problem is that she is still in high school. Can she go to school from YOUR house or are you located in a different district? She needs to understand if she moves in with you that will change her life.

CourtClerk

Your girlfriend needs to REALLY think this over because long after your relationship is over, she's going to need to be self supporting and that's hard for a 19 year old (yep, I give it a year) to do. I know if it were MY child, once you leave the nest, you leave permanently, especially if you leave to go shack up with someone. She's not on good terms with her parents. She's going to make a short term solution to a long term problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">