• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex-husband moved and

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Betty_D

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I have his address. He owes me alimony and child support and I am afraid he will not pay. He has moved to another state and will avoid payments to me. How can I track him down to get him to pay? Also, is there any spot to where I can have him extradited so the court can prosecute him?

What rights do I have? Do states communicate with each other? Do I need to wait for him to be arrested or can I have the local police go by to get him? If not, if he is stopped for speeding or another traffic violation, will he be retained and then returned? I have heard about some states do not allow him to be returned. He may simply pay the child support and avoid alimony. Will this be treated differently and will this help him to avoid extradition?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!

ecmst12

He does not need to be extradited unless he is in a different country. If he hasn't been paying, file for contempt in the same court where your divorce was done.

Betty_D

I Understand

If I do file in the same court, then what will happen? If he is in another state and not under the jurisdiction of the original court, then how can this be enforced?

Bali Hai

If I do file in the same court, then what will happen? If he is in another state and not under the jurisdiction of the original court, then how can this be enforced?
If he doesn't work, care about his driver license, care about his passport, care if he goes to jail or not, or care about a number of other things, then it CAN't be enforced.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I have his address. He owes me alimony and child support and I am afraid he will not pay. He has moved to another state and will avoid payments to me. How can I track him down to get him to pay? Also, is there any spot to where I can have him extradited so the court can prosecute him?

What rights do I have? Do states communicate with each other? Do I need to wait for him to be arrested or can I have the local police go by to get him? If not, if he is stopped for speeding or another traffic violation, will he be retained and then returned? I have heard about some states do not allow him to be returned. He may simply pay the child support and avoid alimony. Will this be treated differently and will this help him to avoid extradition?

Thanks in advance!!!!
I am a bit unclear on your "concerns". Is your ex ACTUALLY behind, or are you just afraid he will become so? Why, as you said you have his address, will you have to "track him down"?

Betty_D

My concern

Let me try to make this clear, and thank you for your comment that you do not understand.

There is a divorce decree stating support will be $1,000 per month for alimony and $500 for Child Support. Alimony will go on indefinitely and Child Support will end when our son reaches age 18 or graduates from High School, which ever is later. At this time the child support will end approximately June of 2013. He is current in payments but he has been late from time to time. He has been late but not more than two weeks. His father recently died and he says there are financial problems. He has moved to a different state and my concern is he will stop paying now that he is out of state. I am wanting to know, or have an idea, what I can do to make him pay, if he lives out of state. I have heard that Child Support is more enforceable than alimony and, should he stop paying alimony but continues to pay child support, what recourse do I have? I was told here I can go back to the court in my city and file against him, but, if this is only on unpaid alimony, will there be anything the court can do for me? I just would like to know what I may have to do to prepare for this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly? Worry about it if it happens. Two weeks is not usually considered a huge deal.

In the meantime, work on figuring out how to be able to support yourself so if he does stop paying, it doesn't cause you a huge issue.

nextwife

Hopefully, you are using the alimony support to learn a new career, so that if he is ever ill disabled, or unemployed and not paying support, you will by then be fully capable of supporting yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">