• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex wife has remarried how do I stop the spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikestayton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ But we were married nd divorce in Va. It is hard for me to to get down there and she takes advantage of that. I also do not have alot of money for a lawyer. She has remarried and I need to know what I need to do to stop the support from coming out of my check? We had no children so there is no other support.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ But we were married nd divorce in Va. It is hard for me to to get down there and she takes advantage of that. I also do not have alot of money for a lawyer. She has remarried and I need to know what I need to do to stop the support from coming out of my check? We had no children so there is no other support.
It looks like you will need to ask the courts to do so. I keep finding info stating that upon cohabitating, the payor can request the court term alimony...so It's my best guess that you will need to file to request termination as well--unless your order sates that it terminates upon her remarriage. Then, you should be done.

I found this:Virginia Spousal Support (Alimony) FAQs | divorcenet.com

Can the amount of spousal support be changed later?

If spouses agree on an amount of spousal support and include that amount in their property settlement agreement, the amount of spousal support cannot be modified unless the agreement allows for later modification. If a judge sets a spousal support award, however, either side may later come back to court and request an increase or decrease based on substantially changed circumstances. Further, the paying spouse is permitted to ask the court to terminate spousal support if the recipient spouse has lived with another person in a marriage-like relationship for a year or more

LdiJ

It looks like you will need to ask the courts to do so. I keep finding info stating that upon cohabitating, the payor can request the court term alimony...so It's my best guess that you will need to file to request termination as well--unless your order sates that it terminates upon her remarriage. Then, you should be done.

I found this:Virginia Spousal Support (Alimony) FAQs | divorcenet.com
Unfortunately he has wage garnishment, therefore he cannot be "done" without taking it back to court and getting the wage garnishment vacated.

Bali Hai

Unfortunately he has wage garnishment, therefore he cannot be "done" without taking it back to court and getting the wage garnishment vacated.
A court date could take a long time and if he is successful in getting the alimony terminated, what becomes of his money going into her pocket since the remarriage?

Seems the court strapped him with alimony and left him at a financial disadvantage with a wage garnishment. But of course nobody cares about that as long as the ex-wife continues to receive his money.

CSO286

I did miss that. OP, your employer is unable to stop the withholding until they receive a court order terminating it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">