• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claudiabarclay

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband and I separated last november. My daughter who is 17 years old and I moved in with my father and my husband is still living in the house that we bought with my son who is 18 years old. He (my husband) has been on Social security disability and Veterans disability (he's 100% disabled) for six years.

He says he doesn't have to give me any money because his disability money can't be touched legally by me for spousal support or anything. He says he owes me NOTHING and is in no way responsible for me financially. I left him because I could not take the mental abuse any longer. I attempted suicide about three years ago because I could no longer deal with the mental abuse. The night before I left last november I went to the hospital because I was feeling suicidal again and didn't want to do this again. They said to leave him right away to avoid another horrible event like before. So I did, the next day.

I have no income. I was a wife/homemaker the entire time we were married. We have been married since 1989. I have no schooling or job experience what so ever and am disabled myself trying to get SSI for my Bi-polar depression and back injuries. But that is going to take a long time if I even qualify for SSI.

He says that I can't come to the house to get my things unless he is home and agrees to have me over. My name is on the house papers and co buyer because I am his wife... He won't let me have people over to help me move my things out and he says I can't keep either one of the cars either. We owe so much money on the house and both cars, and with me having no income to pay the loan on one of the cars or for even the insurance, I am going to be stuck without transportation.

He says once I left I gave up any of my rights to anything as far as he is concerned. The problem I am having is that since my suicide attempt, my mental abilities are that of a teenager at the most and I am trying my best to get through this but am very scared to death. I don't know what to do. He uses intimidation to get what he wants and to be honest I don't know my rights. I just want to get my things out of the house, put them in storage and file for divorce. I am going to need spousal support because I have no income and I have had to use credit cards that I applied for after I left him in order to support myself and My daughter. He really has me between a rock and a hard place right now.

Please email me back soon. I don't know who else to turn to. With no money or recourses I am screwed... and I don't want to end up homeless because of him.... and I can't afford a lawyer either. He gets free services from the Veterans administration.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband and I separated last november. My daughter who is 17 years old and I moved in with my father and my husband is still living in the house that we bought with my son who is 18 years old. He (my husband) has been on Social security disability and Veterans disability (he's 100% disabled) for six years.

He says he doesn't have to give me any money because his disability money can't be touched legally by me for spousal support or anything. He says he owes me NOTHING and is in no way responsible for me financially. I left him because I could not take the mental abuse any longer. I attempted suicide about three years ago because I could no longer deal with the mental abuse. The night before I left last november I went to the hospital because I was feeling suicidal again and didn't want to do this again. They said to leave him right away to avoid another horrible event like before. So I did, the next day.

I have no income. I was a wife/homemaker the entire time we were married. We have been married since 1989. I have no schooling or job experience what so ever and am disabled myself trying to get SSI for my Bi-polar depression and back injuries. But that is going to take a long time if I even qualify for SSI.

He says that I can't come to the house to get my things unless he is home and agrees to have me over. My name is on the house papers and co buyer because I am his wife... He won't let me have people over to help me move my things out and he says I can't keep either one of the cars either. We owe so much money on the house and both cars, and with me having no income to pay the loan on one of the cars or for even the insurance, I am going to be stuck without transportation.

He says once I left I gave up any of my rights to anything as far as he is concerned. The problem I am having is that since my suicide attempt, my mental abilities are that of a teenager at the most and I am trying my best to get through this but am very scared to death. I don't know what to do. He uses intimidation to get what he wants and to be honest I don't know my rights. I just want to get my things out of the house, put them in storage and file for divorce. I am going to need spousal support because I have no income and I have had to use credit cards that I applied for after I left him in order to support myself and My daughter. He really has me between a rock and a hard place right now.

Please email me back soon. I don't know who else to turn to. With no money or recourses I am screwed... and I don't want to end up homeless because of him.... and I can't afford a lawyer either. He gets free services from the Veterans administration.
You gave up absolutely no rights whatsoever by leaving. You need to get yourself an attorney ASAP. You are entitled to 1/2 of the equity in the home and 1/2 of any other marital assets. You will also be responsible for 1/2 of any marital debt. You are certainly entitled to the use of one of the cars, but you will also be responsible for the car payment for the car. Get an attorney NOW. Get your family to help you if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">