• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need A Definition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scountri

What is the name of your state? NY

I need to know if there is a legal definition for what Spousal Support is intended for. Let's say for household bills? New car? New clothes? To start a business? or all of the above? Would Spousal Support be considered contributing to the mortgage if spouse could not afford it by themselves? I guess I'm looking for a concrete answer to what Family Court considers the purpose is. I can't seem to find this anywhere. If someone knows where I can find this information I'd appreciate it. Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

I need to know if there is a legal definition for what Spousal Support is intended for. Let's say for household bills? New car? New clothes? To start a business? or all of the above? Would Spousal Support be considered contributing to the mortgage if spouse could not afford it by themselves? I guess I'm looking for a concrete answer to what Family Court considers the purpose is. I can't seem to find this anywhere. If someone knows where I can find this information I'd appreciate it. Thanks
There is no legal definition as far as I am aware. Its for the spouse to use however the spouse sees fit. I think it would be pretty rare for a spouse not to use it on bills...because if they didn't need to use it on bills, they normally wouldn't need it at all, and therefore wouldn't receive it at all.

However, sometimes spousal support can be set up where instead of it being cash that is provided to the spouse, its the payment of certain bills, like part of the mortgage.

Bali Hai

There is no legal definition as far as I am aware. Its for the spouse to use however the spouse sees fit. I think it would be pretty rare for a spouse not to use it on bills...because if they didn't need to use it on bills, they normally wouldn't need it at all, and therefore wouldn't receive it at all.

However, sometimes spousal support can be set up where instead of it being cash that is provided to the spouse, its the payment of certain bills, like part of the mortgage.
I never knew the true meaning of a puke bag until now!!!

OP, I suggest you research this further on your own!!!

LdiJ

I never knew the true meaning of a puke bag until now!!!

OP, I suggest you research this further on your own!!!
Bali....please feel free to give the OP a legally valid definition for how alimony may be used.

Bali Hai

Bali....please feel free to give the OP a legally valid definition for how alimony may be used.
Since alimony violates the 13th amendment of the US constitution and NY's alimony laws put very little weight on the actual need for alimony, it can be used for anything the receiver wants. i.e. to keep the same standard of living that was accustomed to during the marriage (which is total BS by the way, to even attempt to do this is rediculous!!)

CourtClerk

i.e. to keep the same standard of living that was accustomed to during the marriage
I wonder.... if the couple stayed married and the bread winner became disabled for whatever reason, where would the alimony come from to "keep the same standard of living?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">