• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nj alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

touhey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Greetings...My wife filed for divorce after 22 years of marriage. We have 3 daughters together (21, 16, 14) & an adopted son (7).

We own a house (apx value $240k). I make $93k a year, she makes $21k a year, in addition she (i say she because it comes in her name only & never hits a bank account) gets an adoption subsidy check from the state of $780 a month.

I pay $580 a month for group health / dental / vision insurance.

We have agreed on joint custody of the kids with her being the custodial parent.

With that said, can anyone give me a round-about dollar figure as to what I will be paying a month? If possible both in alimony & child support?

Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Greetings...My wife filed for divorce after 22 years of marriage. We have 3 daughters together (21, 16, 14) & an adopted son (7).

We own a house (apx value $240k). I make $93k a year, she makes $21k a year, in addition she (i say she because it comes in her name only & never hits a bank account) gets an adoption subsidy check from the state of $780 a month.

I pay $580 a month for group health / dental / vision insurance.

We have agreed on joint custody of the kids with her being the custodial parent.

With that said, can anyone give me a round-about dollar figure as to what I will be paying a month? If possible both in alimony & child support?

Thank you.
Child support is easy. Go here and plug in the numbers:
NJ Child Support - Guidelines Calculator

Alimony is more difficult since most states don't have calculators and leave it to the judge's discretion. Factors which will be considered are:
Alimony/Maintenance/Spousal Support in a New Jersey Divorce

nextwife

The adoption subsidy is money provided by the state specifically to help support the costs of the adopted child. I presume, then, that you adopted from foster care, or a child in DHFS care?

You need to make certain it is counted as a form of support provided to the child.

tuffbrk

Also keep in mind that any alimony that is awarded is included as income to her when using the calculater to estimate the child support.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">