• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non modifiable alimony/ Ex won't pay, claims he is disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenpo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Ex agreed to non modifiable permanent alimony in order to pay me back for debts he hid during the marriage that wiped out our savings and retirement. We made roughly same salary, both as nurses. trouble is he's bipolar. Has had several episodes and quits jobs often but usually able to get another right away because he is very skilled w many certifications.
Last year though he got fired during a bipolar episode for taking one of his patients meds. License suspended for a year. He has extensive computer skills with many years history working in technology but has decided not to work. He applied for SSDI disability last year and has been turned down twice. Their private psych evaluation did not agree with his private psych doctor - they say he can work full time. His plan though is to appeal and reapply until SSDI gives in, work under the table doing computer work, and not pay me ever again.
I can't prove he is working, he lives w another who pays most of his bills. I want to take him to court for contempt but he said he will just file to have alimony removed as he has had a life changing event beyond his control that prevents him from working.
Do I have good case or will the judge see things his way?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">