• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Receiving Court Ordered Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frustrated Ex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-husband has not sent to me any monthly alimony payments during the past 3 years. His excuse is that he does not have a regular income (self employed). Two years ago in the month of December he sent me money which equalled to a little over one month's worth of alimony payment. Last year, I called him because I was in dire need of monies for emergency medical expenses and he said that he didn't have any money to send. He is an attorney and recently published a book. I've not pursued this matter because I can not afford to hire an attorney. Your advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex-husband has not sent to me any monthly alimony payments during the past 3 years. His excuse is that he does not have a regular income (self employed). Two years ago in the month of December he sent me money which equalled to a little over one month's worth of alimony payment. Last year, I called him because I was in dire need of monies for emergency medical expenses and he said that he didn't have any money to send. He is an attorney and recently published a book. I've not pursued this matter because I can not afford to hire an attorney. Your advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your only option is to file for contempt. You don't have to hire an attorney to do it, but since he is one, it would be in your best interest to have one. Also, you should ask that he be ordered to pay your legal fees, since he is the one in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">