• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Spousal Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiPiggy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm having problems find out how much I will likely have to pay in spousal support. I gross around $98,000, wife's gross is about $20,000.

I pay approximately $1000 per month in medical / optical / dental. We have two kids. I will end up with full custody of one child, and with the second child I will have him during the week. She will have one child on the weekends.

Not sure what other factors there are.

LdiJ

I'm having problems find out how much I will likely have to pay in spousal support. I gross around $98,000, wife's gross is about $20,000.

I pay approximately $1000 per month in medical / optical / dental. We have two kids. I will end up with full custody of one child, and with the second child I will have him during the week. She will have one child on the weekends.

Why such an odd custody arrangement for the children? That of course will impact financial matters as well, as child support will also factor into how much money is to be exchanged.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You will most likely pay approximately $39,000 a year for spousal support. If the debts that are not attached to house/car etc. are split equally. Most counties in Ohio equalize incomes. Then child support will be determined. Full custody? Why won't mom see that child at all?

MiPiggy

You will most likely pay approximately $39,000 a year for spousal support. If the debts that are not attached to house/car etc. are split equally. Most counties in Ohio equalize incomes. Then child support will be determined. Full custody? Why won't mom see that child at all?
Mom has mental issues. She is still able to work, but chooses to work part-time. She is certified to work in two other higher paying careers as a corrections officer and bank teller, but she is instead working as a part time clerk. She does not have the kids during the week so she is perfectly capable of working full time but chooses not to as she think she can get more money that way. Instead she has been working cash jobs and not reporting the income.

CPS found that mom was physically abusive to my daughter so by mutual agreement between the attorneys & guardian ad item my daughter no longer visits there. She has been physically abusive to my son in the past but CPS has not done anything to date as he has not been injured. My daughter will be 14 years and son 13 years old this fall. So only my son goes to visit her for now. He was going the first three weekends of every month. Now that summer is here she will have him every other week until school starts back in August.

CSO286

Mom has mental issues. She is still able to work, but chooses to work part-time. She is certified to work in two other higher paying careers as a corrections officer and bank teller, but she is instead working as a part time clerk. She does not have the kids during the week so she is perfectly capable of working full time but chooses not to as she think she can get more money that way. Instead she has been working cash jobs and not reporting the income.

CPS found that mom was physically abusive to my daughter so by mutual agreement between the attorneys & guardian ad item my daughter no longer visits there. She has been physically abusive to my son in the past but CPS has not done anything to date as he has not been injured. My daughter will be 14 years and son 13 years old this fall. So only my son goes to visit her for now. He was going the first three weekends of every month. Now that summer is here she will have him every other week until school starts back in August.
Depending on the nature of those "mental issues", she may be unable to work as either a corrections officer or bank teller--two jobs that require a sound mind, given that they carry a significant amount of responsibility.

In addition, that CPS finding might also negatively affect her ability to work as a corrections officer. Most law enforcement folks have moral turpitude clauses in their employment contracts.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Child support does not impact spousal support. Spousal support is figured first and then child support.

LdiJ

Child support does not impact spousal support. Spousal support is figured first and then child support.
While I agree with this, in the end, the amount of money that he has to give to his ex is going to be reduced by the amount she has to pay in child support.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While I agree with this, in the end, the amount of money that he has to give to his ex is going to be reduced by the amount she has to pay in child support.
You'd be surprised. There is a tax savings in spousal support and not child support so the amount of spousal support is NOT going to be reduced like that. He will pay her and then SHE will pay him back. IRS purposes and all.

LdiJ

You'd be surprised. There is a tax savings in spousal support and not child support so the amount of spousal support is NOT going to be reduced like that. He will pay her and then SHE will pay him back. IRS purposes and all.
I should have thought about that...although I have never seen an alimony award (when paid by the custodial parent) work that way. However, it IS much fairer for the person paying alimony.

Bali Hai

I should have thought about that...although I have never seen an alimony award (when paid by the custodial parent) work that way. However, it IS much fairer for the person paying alimony.
You women can think up whatever you want. Child support yes of course. Alimony for an ex is going to be a much harder win.

Apparently from what I'm reading, Ohio is going the way of Florida.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, because we want mentally ill people working as corrections officers. :rolleyes:

I don't know how easily available jobs as a bank teller are, but I do know FT retail work (heck, most FT work, unless an office-type ) can be difficult to find these days. And depending on her "mental issues", not all jobs may be appropriate for her.

tuffbrk

I can certainly relate to the ex working cash jobs to keep the alimony coming in. Sorry you'll be dealing with it as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">