• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon alimony Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrbaldwin

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have been married for 10 years, my wife says she now wants a divorce.
my wife just got a job 3 weeks ago making 31K a year
I make 68K a year

She wants us to file together without lawyers but we are both guessing on alimony.

What is and estimated range for alimony and how many years should it be for. I'm not looking to negotiate low, I'm interested in what she would most likely get if this went to a judge. I just need somewhere to start.

All other concerns, comments or hints are welcome. Thanks

jrbaldwin

I think she is entitiled to 200-300 a month for 4-5 years max.

She is thinking north of $1,000 a month!

This could become a contested lawsuit really quick if we cannot gain some perspective.

jrbaldwin

NextWife >>What about marital debts, is she sharing those?

______

No Marital debts, we are going to sell the home and split the equity/possesions 50/50.
Two vehicals (completely paid off) she gets one I get the other, all else being equal and settled, what would (in your experiance) be awarded to her as alimony (not to be confused with what you think is fair)?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

jrbaldwin

VaronicaLodge>>shes the one that wants a divorce and has a decent job with benefits? i would say none.

Thanks for your reply, and yes on the decent denefits. In your experience, do you think the judge would rule likewise if this had to go to court?

Last edited:

VeronicaLodge

well its hard to say what a judge will/wont do, but at this point you are negotiatign with her and the judge will probably sign off on anythign you agree to, so becareful what you agree to.

10 years would probably be considered a long term marriage and she would likely get some alimony. i just think alimony is an out dated notion in this day and age where we are supposed to be equal and all. shes leaving you and has a job! she can certainly take care of herself, its not like you are throwing her out and she didnt have a job. now, why didn't she work before this? does she have an education? do you have children that she stayed home to raise?

if i were you i would try to keep the alimony as little as possible for as short a time as possible.

jrbaldwin

now, why didn't she work before this? does she have an education? do you have children that she stayed home to raise?
_________

She has considered getting a degree throughout the marriage but was never able to commit to the schooling.

We have 3 kids and she did stay home to raise them but has been working part time for the last two years and now full time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have been married for 10 years, my wife says she now wants a divorce.
my wife just got a job 3 weeks ago making 31K a year
I make 68K a year

She wants us to file together without lawyers but we are both guessing on alimony.

What is and estimated range for alimony and how many years should it be for. I'm not looking to negotiate low, I'm interested in what she would most likely get if this went to a judge. I just need somewhere to start.

All other concerns, comments or hints are welcome. Thanks
Just for the sake of theorizing....something like this is probably your worst case scenario:

Lets say that she has primary custody of the children. In that scenario you would have to pay guideline child support for 3 children. (that is not alimony, its child support). Google an online child support calculator for your state and run the numbers. With your income, and three children, child support might very well be north of 1000.00.

So, for the sake of the example, lets say that child support is 1000.00 per month or 12000.00 per year.

Your income for the purposes of an alimony calculation would then be 68k minus 12k = 56k

The difference between your income and her income is 25k. 1/2 of 25k is 12,500 which would translate to just north of 1000.00 a year. (1/2 of the difference equalizes your income)

So, that could be a worst case scenario, for maybe 4 or 5 years. Now, since you will be filing taxes as single in the future, your marginal tax bracket will be 25%. Since the alimony would be tax deductible to you, and taxable income to her, your actual cost of the alimony would only be 750.00 a month (if alimony is 1000.00 a month).

On the other hand, your best case scenario would be that a judge determines that her 31k of income is sufficient to support HER, and therefore would decide that you are only obligated for child support.

If you can live with the worst case scenario....then maybe letting a judge decide would be best, because that would mean that you also have a chance of the best case scenario happening.

If you can't live with the worst case scenario...then negotiating to somewhere around 500.00 a month for 4 years or so, would probably be a good idea. That 500.00 a month would only cost you 400.00 a month.

Bali Hai

Just for the sake of theorizing....something like this is probably your worst case scenario:

Lets say that she has primary custody of the children. In that scenario you would have to pay guideline child support for 3 children. (that is not alimony, its child support). Google an online child support calculator for your state and run the numbers. With your income, and three children, child support might very well be north of 1000.00.

So, for the sake of the example, lets say that child support is 1000.00 per month or 12000.00 per year.

Your income for the purposes of an alimony calculation would then be 68k minus 12k = 56k

The difference between your income and her income is 25k. 1/2 of 25k is 12,500 which would translate to just north of 1000.00 a year. (1/2 of the difference equalizes your income)

So, that could be a worst case scenario, for maybe 4 or 5 years. Now, since you will be filing taxes as single in the future, your marginal tax bracket will be 25%. Since the alimony would be tax deductible to you, and taxable income to her, your actual cost of the alimony would only be 750.00 a month (if alimony is 1000.00 a month).

On the other hand, your best case scenario would be that a judge determines that her 31k of income is sufficient to support HER, and therefore would decide that you are only obligated for child support.

If you can live with the worst case scenario....then maybe letting a judge decide would be best, because that would mean that you also have a chance of the best case scenario happening.

If you can't live with the worst case scenario...then negotiating to somewhere around 500.00 a month for 4 years or so, would probably be a good idea. That 500.00 a month would only cost you 400.00 a month.

And in the meantime, OP should be working to boot out these alimony laws that keep men in servitude to women for life!!

Alimony in this case should OUT OF THE QUESTION!!! But as you can see the wife is being a hog, why?, because the law allows her to be!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">