• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honeybell

I was awarded 5 years alimony in 2005 by a Connecticut judge. I am now a permanent resident of Florida and my ex is now a permanent resident of New York State.

He has stopped paying alimony, how do I apporach this issue? What state would I file in?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

honeybell

I appreciate your prompt reply. Is this something I can do myself, or would I need a lawyer in Connecticut?

seniorjudge

I appreciate your prompt reply. Is this something I can do myself, or would I need a lawyer in Connecticut?
If it were me, I'd hire a lawyer across from the courthouse where the lawsuit was decided.

There MAY be ways to get it to your current residence; but the place to start is Connecticut.

honeybell

Thanks again for your help. It's nice to know there are some kind and decent people left in today's world!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Because alimony is taxable income, if you qualify to itemize on your taxes, this may be a tax deductible expense.

When filing contempt against the X, ask that your attorney fees be paid by your X.

LdiJ

Because alimony is taxable income, if you qualify to itemize on your taxes, this may be a tax deductible expense.

When filing contempt against the X, ask that your attorney fees be paid by your X.
Good point Ginny. Legal fees involved in the production of income are tax deductible if someone itemizes, and if those legal fees exceed the 2% of AGI floor.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Whether the OP succeeds in collecting or not, because it involved taxable income, expenses towards the collection of that alimony are tax deductible. But, that means the OP must be able to itemize and meeting the 2% cap on miscellaneous deductions.

So, Bali, everytime y'all go to court over that alimony you despise paying, it is tax deductible.

Bali Hai

Whether the OP succeeds in collecting or not, because it involved taxable income, expenses towards the collection of that alimony are tax deductible. But, that means the OP must be able to itemize and meeting the 2% cap on miscellaneous deductions.

So, Bali, everytime y'all go to court over that alimony you despise paying, it is tax deductible.
Can I claim my work boots, hard hat and knuckle guards too??

TinkerBelleLuvr

If your boots and hard hat are used as part of your regular employment, then you can use them on form 2106. As for the knuckles, unless you are Bruce Lee and can claim the "use" on a film, can't think how it might be tax deductible.

LdiJ

If your boots and hard hat are used as part of your regular employment, then you can use them on form 2106. As for the knuckles, unless you are Bruce Lee and can claim the "use" on a film, can't think how it might be tax deductible.
Actually Ginny, knuckle guards are tax deductible for many industries. There are all kinds of manufacturing jobs where knuckle guards could be a necessity...however, maybe not many where the employer wouldn't provide them.

You are thinking "punching"...not "scraping".

I provided knuckle guards for my kitchen staff in the restaurant that I owned, and it had nothing to do with punching and everything to do with scraping. I also provided wrist braces as well. Carpel Tunnel is a huge issue for kitchen staff.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Yeah, Ldij, I was thinking brass knuckles that can be deadly weapons. Which, knowing the animosity of Bali towards someone ... not encouraging such items. Not that Bali would do anything stupid, but I'm never one to give ANYONE any ideas.

Bali Hai

Yeah, Ldij, I was thinking brass knuckles that can be deadly weapons. Which, knowing the animosity of Bali towards someone ... not encouraging such items. Not that Bali would do anything stupid, but I'm never one to give ANYONE any ideas.
I'm very surprised you got the wrong idea.

I use my knuckle guards to protect my knuckles from getting scraped when they drag over the courthouse steps on my way to a contempt hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">