• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over 15 years with no alimony paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asking12345

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My ex and I were married 28 years. The divorce ordered him to pay spousal support, which he never has. I was able to take him to court 2 times because of it but each time the court ruled in my favor, and yet he still hasn't paid a dime. He even went back to court for modification of payment (!) and lost.
After spending $$$$$ on a lawyer who had done nothing to get MY support from me, I switched lawyers in hope she could do something, but she became frustrated and took herself off the case.
I do not have the money to find another attorney. We have both left CT and now live in NY.
Is there any way to enforce the settlement? Is there any type of firm that would take a case like mine on contingency? I know it's been 15 years but after 5+ years of fighting and leaving the state, I became frustrated myself and almost bankrupt!
Thank you very much.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Truthfully if he doens't want to pay then he will not pay. And you apparently have survived without it for the last 15 years. From what I can find most debt in CT has a SOL of 6 years so you may have lost the right to collect some of the spousal support due you.

asking12345

thanks. I've been working 6 days a week, long days, since our divorce. My kids are in financial trouble and they do not talk to him so I thought if there was a way to enforce the order, I'd try to do it. It's crazy that you can spend so much for lawyers, get a ruling for support and the spouse can just shrug their shoulders and say "nope, not paying it!".
Anyway, thank you for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">