• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Alimony & Child Support - Due Date / Mail Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gllg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My ex husband has started to pay his Alimony and child support payments by check. He used to pay by fund transfer since we had checking accounts at the same bank. But I moved my checking account to a different bank. The divorce papers say that he has to pay on the 1st of each month. Now that he is paying by check he has started mailing the check to me, but he doesn't mail the check until either the very last day of the month or the 1st day of the month. I think the check should arrive no later than the 1st of each month. He is saying that as long as it is mailed by the 1st of the month, then he is within our divorce agreement. Is that right or should it be with me by the 1st? I didn't receive this month's check until the 3rd of the month.

Thank you for your help!!

Silverplum

My ex husband has started to pay his Alimony and child support payments by check. He used to pay by fund transfer since we had checking accounts at the same bank. But I moved my checking account to a different bank. The divorce papers say that he has to pay on the 1st of each month. Now that he is paying by check he has started mailing the check to me, but he doesn't mail the check until either the very last day of the month or the 1st day of the month. I think the check should arrive no later than the 1st of each month. He is saying that as long as it is mailed by the 1st of the month, then he is within our divorce agreement. Is that right or should it be with me by the 1st? I didn't receive this month's check until the 3rd of the month.

I think you should hire the most expensive attorney in town, and grind your X into the dust.

A couple of days late, indeed. Call the Supreme Court!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mommyof4

You really have nothing better to do with your time than worry about whether or not your CS is there on exactly the first day of the month?

REALLY?????

Lady, are you getting your CS within the month it is due? (Hell, within the WEEK???)

Get a hobby. Go volunteer. Stop giving your ex so much of your time and attention.:rolleyes:

Gracie3787

Do yourself a HUGE favor- go to the "child support" forums and just start reading. Maybe once you see what some CP's have to go through to get any support at all, and see that some are owed thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe, just maybe you will realize how lucky you are to be recieving support at all.

Another tid bit- you want to be very careful not to push your ex too far, it is really easy for any NCP to decide to quit thier job and disappear, then you'd have nothing.

StampGirl

What's that I smell?????

Job security.
NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE !!!

Now I have to clean up my desk cause I was taking a drink of my soda while I read that *sigh* Thanks CC for the laugh!!! :)

Oh and OP?? SHEEESH get a life. Little do you know that your EX is RIGHT. As long as you get it that month, he is just fine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Jumping on the "Sheesh" bus!

Look, OP - work a few days buffer into your budget to account for the check being a few days late. What would you do if the 1st was... *gasp*... on a postal holiday?!?!?! Get over it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

It takes all of two days (at the very most) for mail to get from one side of Bama to the other. You need a smack from the clue-by-four.... Lucky you, the staff has got it across a couple of saw-horses for Friday's Bar. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">