• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Indefinite ALIMONY - HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyhrbs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

We are in a bind here and do not know where to turn. My husband went through a divorce approx 6 years ago. We paid $1,400 alimony per year on his salary of $50,000/yr. Because he owns his own business, they felt that is what he should be paying. Since that time, our business has gone downhill we are close to $75,000+ in debt and not sure how to get out. Needless to say we are unable to pay alimony for the past 6 mos or so. We have received a "Notice of a Pre-Hearing" trial from the X-wife. We live in PA and she lives in MD. She's also on disability - based on the fact that she is depressed. Meanwhile she has babysat for children under the age of two for extra cash - receives close to $900 in disability - wants $1,400 a month from us. This just seems SO UNFAIR. What should we do - as we really do not have the monies to pay her?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ajkroy

I'm just making sure you typed the correct numbers. You are here complaining about just over $100 per month?

Proserpina

We are in a bind here and do not know where to turn. My husband went through a divorce approx 6 years ago. We paid $1,400 alimony per year on his salary of $50,000/yr. Because he owns his own business, they felt that is what he should be paying. Since that time, our business has gone downhill we are close to $75,000+ in debt and not sure how to get out. Needless to say we are unable to pay alimony for the past 6 mos or so. We have received a "Notice of a Pre-Hearing" trial from the X-wife. We live in PA and she lives in MD. She's also on disability - based on the fact that she is depressed. Meanwhile she has babysat for children under the age of two for extra cash - receives close to $900 in disability - wants $1,400 a month from us. This just seems SO UNFAIR. What should we do - as we really do not have the monies to pay her?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did husband ever go back to court to have it modified?

(incidentally what she earns while she's on disability isn't anyone else's business - depending on whether it's SSI or SSDI she could very well be legally earning money)

sandyhrbs

Paying Indefinite Alimony

Not sure where you got $100. We were forced to pay $1,400 and want it modified. Not sure if anyone else experienced this.

Just Blue

Not sure where you got $100. We were forced to pay $1,400 and want it modified. Not sure if anyone else experienced this.
paid $1,400 alimony per year on his salary of $50,000/yr
The above quote is from your first post. You posted that your hubby (not you as you are not a party to his divorce decree) is "forced" to pay fourteen hundred dollars a year. Off the top of my head that is about $115.00 per month. Not a big deal.

Proserpina

I think the point being made is that you aren't obliged to pay anything and that you can't take any steps to change the situation.

Your husband, on the other hand, is the one who can try to get this sorted out. Legally though, this doesn't concern you at all.

(yes, we do get it - we do understand that it's yours and your husband's joint income/financial situation which is being impacted here, but the fact remains: you can't do a thing about it legally because you're not party to the case)

Again though, what did the husband do to have the alimony modified?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would love to know where the post I spent time typing went -- I addressed the fact that this OP is NOT a party to the order and doesn't have to pay anything and that her HUSBAND is the only who has been summoned to the court hearing.

Proserpina

I would love to know where the post I spent time typing went -- I addressed the fact that this OP is NOT a party to the order and doesn't have to pay anything and that her HUSBAND is the only who has been summoned to the court hearing.
Your post is probably in the same place that is currently housing Jimmy Hoffa and various teaspoons and lone socks.

And cripes, OG, I really really do sometimes wonder why we don't have either a "facepalm" emoticon or - perhaps more importantly - a "beating a dead horse" emoticon. Y'know?

Bali Hai

You can thank your gender in general for the predicament that you are in.

He "OWES" me for 20 YEARS of marriage comes to mind.

I'm "ENTITLED" to get paid for all his dirty underwear that I've washed also comes to mind.

sandyhrbs

I'm just making sure you typed the correct numbers. You are here complaining about just over $100 per month?
Not sure you read it correctly .... we have been having to give her $1,400/mos for about 5 years. We fall short because we can't pay that amount and we have arrears. She is receiving IN ADDITION to the alimony of $1,400 Disability of $900. I just feel as though we are in a pinch. She is able to work (she babysits very young children). She just does not want to. Has anyone heard of a case like this?

Antigone*

Not sure you read it correctly .... we have been having to give her $1,400/mos for about 5 years. We fall short because we can't pay that amount and we have arrears. She is receiving IN ADDITION to the alimony of $1,400 Disability of $900. I just feel as though we are in a pinch. She is able to work (she babysits very young children). She just does not want to. Has anyone heard of a case like this?
We can read just fine ~ you are the one having trouble reading. YOU YOU YOU don't pay a damned thing. YOU YOU YOU don't owe a damned thing. YOU YOU YOU are not a party to this action. YOU YOU YOU knew he came with a previous life when you married him. Now because it is inconvenient for YOU, YOU come here and gripe.

There is nothing legally YOU YOU YOU can do here ~ a big fat nothing, nada, zip, to infinity:rolleyes:

sandyhrbs

Did husband ever go back to court to have it modified?

(incidentally what she earns while she's on disability isn't anyone else's business - depending on whether it's SSI or SSDI she could very well be legally earning money)
She COULD be earning legal money. BUT, she has received close to $500,000.00 in inheritance from her parents of which $130,000.00 was for two of her childrens' eduction and supposedly it is gone. They are presently in school and have the burden of loans. She ALSO has spent all of her inheritance PLUS $150,000 from the marital distribution. She has been receiving $1,400.00/month for 5 years (of which we fell behind on payments because we can not keep up with giving her that much). She took us to court to get back support - so we are trying to get it modified. ANYONE COME ACROSS ANYTHING LIKE THIS?????

Isis1

SSI says she's disabled. babysitting is not the same as working employment. prove that SSI will not allow her to work part-time. i know someone who collects SSI and works part-time in a mortuary. very legal.

kimberlywrites

sigh...
YOU wrote in your first post that it was $1400 a year. It was obviously a typo.

Antigone*

She COULD be earning legal money. BUT, she has received close to $500,000.00 in inheritance from her parents of which $130,000.00 was for two of her childrens' eduction and supposedly it is gone. They are presently in school and have the burden of loans. She ALSO has spent all of her inheritance PLUS $150,000 from the marital distribution. She has been receiving $1,400.00/month for 5 years (of which we fell behind on payments because we can not keep up with giving her that much). She took us to court to get back support - so we are trying to get it modified. ANYONE COME ACROSS ANYTHING LIKE THIS?????
You don't freakin get it, are you thick????

There is no we ~ there is no us. There is only ex-husband and HIS obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">