• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying support BEFORE court filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gordonhelmer

California. We're been in mediation for a couple of months now but I've already been paying support using our tentative agreement figure even though nothings been filed with the court yet. I heard spousal support is NOT deductible until filed and signed by a judge and is NOT retroactively deductible to payments before court filing. Is this true? Should I be paying support even though we haven't been to court yet? Thank you.

bummer

I am doing the exact same thing in california. On suggestion of our attorney, I started paying support of $1,700 per month starting November 1st for 42 months. Because we do not have a signed argreement and because we will file our taxes for 08 married jointly, we agreed to reduce the payments to $1,400 for november and december. Even if the divorce is not final well into next year our attorney said as long as the order states spousal support is retroactive the IRS must allow the spousal support deduction

Bali Hai

California. We're been in mediation for a couple of months now but I've already been paying support using our tentative agreement figure even though nothings been filed with the court yet. I heard spousal support is NOT deductible until filed and signed by a judge and is NOT retroactively deductible to payments before court filing. Is this true? Should I be paying support even though we haven't been to court yet? Thank you.
Q1: Yes.
Q2: No.

LdiJ

I am doing the exact same thing in california. On suggestion of our attorney, I started paying support of $1,700 per month starting November 1st for 42 months. Because we do not have a signed argreement and because we will file our taxes for 08 married jointly, we agreed to reduce the payments to $1,400 for november and december. Even if the divorce is not final well into next year our attorney said as long as the order states spousal support is retroactive the IRS must allow the spousal support deduction
I agree with this answer.

Tayla

Bali- Your answer was accurate and correct. And shockingly mild this time :)

If no court order or final divorce is even in play this OP is just tossing money down the drain.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bali- Your answer was accurate and correct. And shockingly mild this time :)

If no court order or final divorce is even in play this OP is just tossing money down the drain.
Since LD is a tax professional, why are you contradicting her on how the IRS will see this? What exactly is your background?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">