• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnus2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

The divorce decree stipulates I pay $450 in child support and $500 in spousal support. I met that obligation fine until August. I am a teacher - last semester I taught high school, night school at one college and weekends at another college. It was no problem. I didnt work second session this summer - I have a house and my renter stiffed me in August and so I stiffed my spouse

Money is usually garnished by weekly, in August I sent in just $500. I started working at a new high school. The state does not have that information. I also quit teaching nights, as my high school job is now 150 miles away - I took it as they were supposed to pay more, but they had a 20% budget cut that I got stuck with as all the others voted on it, to keep the school open.

They are now garnishing about half of what I owe from my working at the colleges. So since August I have only paid about $500 a month on the $950 I owe. Money is super tight as I am making about $750 less each month that I had planned taking the job. I sleep in my car when at the high school. I have paid for finances that the court would consider gifts - like a $1000 IRS bill we owed from our last year of marriage. Jan - July I paid maybe $500-1000 a month more in gifts than is ordered by court.

She has been a licensed nurse since April but has not ever interviewed for a job.

Am I at risk for being arrested since I am making partial alimony/child support payments, and have not notified the state of my new place of work. If they deduct the $950 I owe each month I dont know how I could afford to continue the job - eating out for each meal etc has made keeping this new high school job untenable unless the give us the salaries I agreed to.

Am I at risk for being arrested, can I go back to court and make them make her get a job? Last December, one of the children that determined child support became an adult - so now there is one less minor in the child support equation

Ideally I would have liked to keep paying her $1500-2000 a month and be the hero, but I cant

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

The divorce decree stipulates I pay $450 in child support and $500 in spousal support. I met that obligation fine until August. I am a teacher - last semester I taught high school, night school at one college and weekends at another college. It was no problem. I didnt work second session this summer - I have a house and my renter stiffed me in August and so I stiffed my spouse

Money is usually garnished by weekly, in August I sent in just $500. I started working at a new high school. The state does not have that information. I also quit teaching nights, as my high school job is now 150 miles away - I took it as they were supposed to pay more, but they had a 20% budget cut that I got stuck with as all the others voted on it, to keep the school open.

They are now garnishing about half of what I owe from my working at the colleges. So since August I have only paid about $500 a month on the $950 I owe. Money is super tight as I am making about $750 less each month that I had planned taking the job. I sleep in my car when at the high school. I have paid for finances that the court would consider gifts - like a $1000 IRS bill we owed from our last year of marriage. Jan - July I paid maybe $500-1000 a month more in gifts than is ordered by court.

She has been a licensed nurse since April but has not ever interviewed for a job.

Am I at risk for being arrested since I am making partial alimony/child support payments, and have not notified the state of my new place of work. If they deduct the $950 I owe each month I dont know how I could afford to continue the job - eating out for each meal etc has made keeping this new high school job untenable unless the give us the salaries I agreed to.

Am I at risk for being arrested, can I go back to court and make them make her get a job? Last December, one of the children that determined child support became an adult - so now there is one less minor in the child support equation

Ideally I would have liked to keep paying her $1500-2000 a month and be the hero, but I cant
You won't get arrested (at least not yet) but you can be taken to court for contempt and fined heavily...and if the situation does not get resolved, you could eventually end up jailed.

You really need to find another job in your local area...and you may need to petition to lower the support that you are paying. Why did you start working at a new high school that was 150 miles away from your home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">