• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension - Will I be entitled to a percentage of his pension after we have separated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

getmine

My husband and I our well on our way to separating. He seems to think that after 15 years of marriage I will not receive any part of his upcoming pension. My husband and I have three children, he seems to think that his only obligation is to our children. I believe and correct me if I am wrong if he makes more money than I, should I not receive a portion of his income besides the child support? Do I have to remain married in order to receive a portion of his pension? Please advise.

G

Grandma B

Need to know in which state you reside.

Alimony may or may not be payable, but child support is inevitable. Since you make less than him, it'll be a larger amount. If you are granted alimony, it will most likely be for a few years only.

After 15 years, if he has a retirement plan through his employer, you should be entitled to a sizeable percentage of it. Again, your state is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">