• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property distribution and alimony in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mjonesct

I live in CT, and recently have been served divorce papers from my wife. This happened literally 2 days. My question or question start with, did he by filing freeze all assets as well as a payroll direct deposit from my employer into a joint bank account? 2- we own a house that is strictly in her name that she would not be able to afford if I stopped said direct deposit or after, will courts decide to include said property in alimony agreement? 3-said wife has been unwilling to allow I to obtain funds to financially support myself while we wait on court dates. Is she I'm obstruction of said divorce documents? Also, if said wife were willing or not and I obtained funds necessary but put said properties at a finical risk would I be in contempt of said document? I have a ton more questions buy will start there. Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

asiny

I live in CT, and recently have been served divorce papers from my wife. This happened literally 2 days. My question or question start with, did he by filing freeze all assets as well as a payroll direct deposit from my employer into a joint bank account? 2- we own a house that is strictly in her name that she would not be able to afford if I stopped said direct deposit or after, will courts decide to include said property in alimony agreement? 3-said wife has been unwilling to allow I to obtain funds to financially support myself while we wait on court dates. Is she I'm obstruction of said divorce documents? Also, if said wife were willing or not and I obtained funds necessary but put said properties at a finical risk would I be in contempt of said document? I have a ton more questions buy will start there. Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
Did you retain the services of a divorce attorney who would have gone through all of this with you?

Take a look at this site;
Divorce in Connecticut (CT) - Lawyers.com

Mjonesct

I have not consulted with a attorney as of yet do to the access of any monetary funds. Also, it has been civil to a degree and my thought is that any presence of a lawyer may complicate things. She filed all papers herself.

LdiJ

First you called your spouse he and then you called your spouse she. That is confusing.

However, you are likely due some equity from the marital home, even if its in her name only, so you should not risk any assets being lost.

Just Blue

I have not consulted with a attorney as of yet do to the access of any monetary funds. Also, it has been civil to a degree and my thought is that any presence of a lawyer may complicate things. She filed all papers herself.
Who are you? Husband/Wife/Other?

asiny

Seeing as your wife has filed pro se divorce.. here is my take on your queries;
did he by filing freeze all assets as well as a payroll direct deposit from my employer into a joint bank account?
Not by just filing - she would have to contact the bank. And no to the direct deposit. She does have the authority to freeze a joint account - she would need to send them a letter telling them she wishes the account to remain frozen until otherwise noted. The bank will have this letter as a record, in the event that any disputes arise. Include the account number, name and address in the letter.
You can have your employer change the direct deposits to your own account.. just inform your employer you are having issues with your account and ask them to a) send a cheque (if it is close to the pay day) or b) make the DD to the new account.
2- we own a house that is strictly in her name that she would not be able to afford if I stopped said direct deposit or after, will courts decide to include said property in alimony agreement?
See above response from LdiJ regarding the home and the bottom quote about 'community property'.
3-said wife has been unwilling to allow I to obtain funds to financially support myself while we wait on court dates. Is she I'm obstruction of said divorce documents?
See my above response regarding YOUR paycheque.
Also, if said wife were willing or not and I obtained funds necessary but put said properties at a finical risk would I be in contempt of said document?
No. The home is, legally, not in your name. Even though it is the marital home - you can move out as you are not the mortgage/title/deed holder.
From what I can find, Connecticut is not a community property state;
When it relates to debts incurred in a marriage the couple are equally responsible for joint marital debts and solely responsible for debts incurred in their name only.
Equitable distribution is generally used when it relates to the allocating of marital property in a divorce.

mistoffolees

Seeing as your wife has filed pro se divorce.. here is my take on your queries;

Not by just filing - she would have to contact the bank. And no to the direct deposit. She does have the authority to freeze a joint account - she would need to send them a letter telling them she wishes the account to remain frozen until otherwise noted. The bank will have this letter as a record, in the event that any disputes arise. Include the account number, name and address in the letter.
You can have your employer change the direct deposits to your own account.. just inform your employer you are having issues with your account and ask them to a) send a cheque (if it is close to the pay day) or b) make the DD to the new account.

See above response from LdiJ regarding the home and the bottom quote about 'community property'.

See my above response regarding YOUR paycheque.

No. The home is, legally, not in your name. Even though it is the marital home - you can move out as you are not the mortgage/title/deed holder.
From what I can find, Connecticut is not a community property state;
That is all misleading. While it is true that the spouse can not freeze accounts, the action of filing for divorce creates a set of default orders. These orders will have instructions preventing you from moving large amounts of money, canceling insurance, and so on. The first step is to read the divorce packet carefully and make sure that you understand and follow what it tells you.

In addition, when one spouse is working and the other is not (particularly if there's a reason why the other can't work), there is usually no LEGAL obligation to support the other spouse until the court orders it (such as default orders). HOWEVER, if the primary breadwinner suddenly leaves the stbx with nothing in his/her name and leaves them to starve, it can send a very strong message to the judge. Best to work out some fair way for both parties to survive while the divorce is pending - and then work to get through the divorce as quickly as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">