• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

QDRO Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Milner

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

My divorce entitled me to half of the marital portion of my ex's pension. He is no longer in that union, not to mention unemployed.

Is there a way I can withdraw my portion even before he takes his?

If I read up on this QDRO correctly, my portion of the pension is in a seperate "account". I would gladly pay the 20% tax and other fees if need be.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

My divorce entitled me to half of the marital portion of my ex's pension. He is no longer in that union, not to mention unemployed.

Is there a way I can withdraw my portion even before he takes his?

If I read up on this QDRO correctly, my portion of the pension is in a seperate "account". I would gladly pay the 20% tax and other fees if need be.
Union pensions are not normally something that can be withdrawn in a lump sum. They are also not necessarily divisible so that your portion goes into a separate account. Did you have a QDRO drawn up, signed by the judge, and given to the Union?

This may be something that you can't receive until he retires, and then he may have to pay it to you himself.

For the sake of other people who may read this thread....

When it comes to Union pensions, or pensions where a lump sum cannot be withdrawn, then its really better to exchange your share of the pension for other marital assets...if possible.

Bali Hai

Union pensions are not normally something that can be withdrawn in a lump sum. They are also not necessarily divisible so that your portion goes into a separate account. Did you have a QDRO drawn up, signed by the judge, and given to the Union?

This may be something that you can't receive until he retires, and then he may have to pay it to you himself.

For the sake of other people who may read this thread....

When it comes to Union pensions, or pensions where a lump sum cannot be withdrawn, then its really better to exchange your share of the pension for other marital assets...if possible.
OR you can take your chances and hope that the spouse who cannot withdraw the lumpsum kicks the bucket before the benefit becomes available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">